1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dumb Question of the Week on Shielding

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Pops OB, Feb 11, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Is there a technical reason why the pickup cavity should be shielded instead of directly shielding the bottom half of the pickup?

2. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Many manufacturers, such as Dingwall, fully shield their pickups prior to potting them into casings. The reason the average Joe doesn't shield an entire pickup is because it is very difficult to do on a typical pickup. You would have to encase the pickups without grounding out the shielding. Additionally, there are many that don't like shielding around the pickup as they feel it negatively impacts the tone of the instrument. Either shielding the pickup or the cavity will yield the same performance.

Pops OB likes this.
  3. Shielding a pickup induces Eddy currents which change its tone.

el_Bajo_Verde and Pops OB like this.
  4. Pops OB

Pops OB

Nov 4, 2016
    Are you saying absolutely no shielding as far as the pups (I know Bartolinis are already shielded before being epoxied)?

My original post was directed at shielding pickups themselves as opposed to the pickup cavity, but are you saying that the pickup compartment should not be shielded? I'm just trying to get it straight in my own head. Thanks.

5. If the pickups are unshielded and the cavity is unshielded, then you should definitely shield the cavity! You should not shield the pickups themselves, however, unless you do not mind the change in tone that the shielding will cause.

If the pickups are already shielded, then you don't need to bother with shielding the cavities, but you do still need to make sure that the control cavity is shielded. If the pickups do not have shielded wire, then you will also need to shield the wire channels.

wcriley and Pops OB like this.
  6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the closer the shielding is to the coils and the more conductive that shielding the more it affects the sound. you don't want the shielding to be within the magnetic field of the pickup if it can be avoided.

pickup cavity shielding is far enough away to not affect anything.

Pops OB likes this.
  7. Badwater

Badwater

Jan 12, 2017
    Wires, pots, and switches in the cavity should be shielded also.

Pops OB likes this.
  8. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    Pops OB likes this.