Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb question on fretless basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Roark Haver, Feb 4, 2003.

1. Why do fretless basses cost more than fretted basses for comparable models? One would think that inserting the frets into the neck would add cost to a bass. Are the necks designed, cut and laid up differently because of the lack of frets?

2. FalsehoodBass

FalsehoodBass

Jul 22, 2001
    Denver, CO
    cheaper basses are mass produced, so anything that isn't done on an enormous scale is going to cost more. Fretless is less popular so making fewer of them results in them costing more.

Most higher end basses are available fretless for little or no extra charge.

That's my take on it.

3. bassackwards

bassackwards Member

Dec 16, 2002
    OREGON
    Might have something to do with the fact that fretless basses a far less in demand, so they make a lot less of them. Just a guess. I've been in the market for a cheap fretless lately and I've noticed the re-sale value on fretless goes down considerably. They cost a little more new but a little less used. I guess it evens out in the end. :confused: