Dumb-rawk Ibanez ad in Bassplayer

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DigMe, Oct 14, 2002.

1. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hey! Did any of you catch the Ibanez ad on page 43 in this month's Bass Player mag? It cracked me up.

Has quotes from a bassist named Jason French from Switched. This is what he has to say about the Ibanez Soundgear Xtreme (Note: "Xtreme" should be pronounced in excited, reverb-laden monster truck announcer voice) bass:

Rawk on, dude.

He also goes on to say:
    Someone get this guy a Mark Hoppus bass.

Sorry to bog this post down with technical speak.

To each his own and all and sorry if this is your hero but it just made me laugh and I had to share.

brad cook

ps - look at his beard. I think he was shaving on the bus with an electric shaver and the driver slammed on the brakes "Whoops! Oh well..Rawk!"
    #76 in "Favorite Bus Driver Tricks Vol. 3"
  2. John Davis

John Davis Guest

Mar 27, 2001
    Houston, Texas

I feel so smart now, thank you! :D
  3. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Man, no wonder Ibanez has a bad image, with idiots like this endorsing them.
  4. Whenever I read my BassPlayer in the crapper, I turn to that ad for a laugh, which helps move things along.
  5. I saw that too and showed my guitarist, he said, "Wouldnt you want it to sound different if you play in a different spot?", whicj is exactly what I was thinking. Also, I've played Soundgears before, and they do not handle being tuned down like that well.
  6. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I have no idea who that guy is, but I kinda feel sorry for him.
  7. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i put that right up there with the fieldy ad where he says...soundgears are all i've played my whole life...and then you have the yamaha ad with that phil lipscomb dude...sheesh...
  8. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    That part of the ad made me laugh at first, then became overwhelmingly disturbing for some reason. I can't remember the last time I read something so sophomoric and wacky in regards to an instrument.

What's really scary about the comments is that despite what I think, Ibanez probably hit home with the target audience for which this ad was intended.
  9. Oh, my. I didn't really have anything against Ibanez, since I've only played one or two and I've heard a local guy who sounded all right on one, but now I'd be worried. I don't know why the company would release something like that, and what if it's contagious?
  10. That kind of ads make bass magazines look more like guitar magazines..really, doesn't it?' :D
  11. Dave Castelo

Dave Castelo

Apr 19, 2000
    i dont know about these new "Xtreme" Ibanez basses but my Ibanez ATK is the best bass 5 string i could have buy for less than $500 (ATK is out of production afaik)...

everyday i love it more... also no one in my town has one and everyone wants to buy it from me :D

killer B string!
  12. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    i heard a guy make an ibanez sound amazing a few nights ago. maybe its the bassists, not the basses, that sound bad (or good, as the case may be).
  13. seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Just to clarify, my post was in no way a knock against the instruments, more like a knock against the endorser.

At any rate, anyone who claims...

"The pickups on the SRX are super loud-way better than the pickups in other basses if you want to rock out."

...has obviously never tried an L-2000. Now those are loud pickups!
  14. add that to the Ibanez ad a while ago for the entry-level Soundgear with an active PHAT knob.
    yeah, rock, dude!

Wishnevsky needs to get in touch with Ibanez's PR company.
    full PHAT loosely routed pickup cavities with no bogus trussrod to bogart the PHATNESS
  15. lneal

Apr 12, 2002
    Lee County, Alabama
    That's why I let my subscription to BP run out. As soon as Jim Roberts left and Carl Koryat took over, I noticed a disturbing new editorial trend.:(

Rawk on dude!!!!!!
  16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I kinda thought he looked like a werewolf. Big hair, big beard. Funny look on his face. Yup, its a werewolf;)
  17. cheeseman

Feb 3, 2002
    Austin, TX
    AHHHHH! Mental picture! :eek:
  18. BP mag sucks anyway.. 90 % ads, 9 % reviews of basses that no average bassplayer ever can afford and 1 % usefull info..

bah :(
  19. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    I still enjoy bass player. Sure, they are going to cover some nu metal stuff because that's one trend in music right now but it's not like that has dominated the magazine or anything (in fact I didn't see any articles having to do with that genre this month..not even little ones!). They still cover a very wide variety of music and have interesting articles, interviews and lessons IMO. Also, I don't think they decide the content of Ibanez's ads. I feel like the ads in Bass Player reflect that culture pretty heavily but that doesn't bleed over into the actual mag content, which I feel has been pretty consistent.

brad cook

ps - ANd hey...they even featured one of our fellow TBers in the Working Stiffs section this month! :)
  20. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Hmm...maybe the Netherlands version of BP is different. This month the 11 pages devoted to Ray Brown alone were worth the price. Good classic photos of the man too.

If you're talking about the same US version that I buy then your post is 100% BS.

brad cook