Dumb string rattle question...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ryanfenderbass, Nov 12, 2011.

1. I think I know the answer, but I just want to confirm...

Quick rundown: brand new MIJ 70s P-bass, no string rattle with stock strings. Put on new Rotosound BS66s and horrible rattle from nut when A string is plucked, moderate rattle from E string. Put stock strings back on, no rattle.

Stock string gauges: A=.080 E=.100
    BS66 guages: A=.80 E=.110

Since the "A" is the same gauge, and the "E" is thicker (less room to rattle) this can only mean I clipped my strings too short (1 1/2-2 wraps around post), right?

That's my guess, but I want to be sure I don't need nutwork or an E/A string retainer as that would really suck!

Off topic—nothing is more annoying than trying to string a bass with cats, amiright?!? One of the bastards just ran off with my G string as I was typing this!!!!!

Anyways—thanks! :)

2. TNCreature

TNCreature Jinkies! Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2010
    Philadelphia Burbs
    String a bass with Cats! LOL!

3. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    Massachusetts
    It sounds like the string isn't breaking over the nut enough. 2 wraps is the bare minimum, 1 1/2 isn't enough.

But you can restring and make sure that you have the string wrapped as far down the post as you can and that it is breaking over the nut sufficiently.

4. Thanks, that's what I thought.

HOWEVER...
    2 new weird things manifested since putting the stock strings back on. No more nut rattle, but the A string now has quite a bit of FRET rattle when plucked open. Stopped notes are fine. String height is good, so this one has me lost.

Secondly and even stranger, the D string developed a surpisingly cool fretless tone—a real nice stringy "mwah" overtone that's especially prominent after the 9th fret. As cool as this sound is, it makes my tone uneven. Maybe cat saliva is the secret ingredient to bow-like overtones?

I'm assuming that one or both of these issues is coming from cheesed restrung factory strings? I also am using an un-filed BAII bridge—wonder if that could be part of the problem.

She's going into the shop next week for new p'ups and to get the bridge setup properly, but I want to clear the air of any user-fixable problems before I give my tech a laundry list of issues.

Thanks again!

5. da'bump!

6. Formula144

Formula144

Sep 27, 2011
    I've got a buzz on my A open that I can kill by putting pressure on the string above the nut. Same problem?

I did try rewrapping it on the tuner. The buzz went away for a bit and then came back.

7. BgTckt

BgTckt

Apr 7, 2010
    So St Paul MN
    Agreed. On a 34" scale instrument anyway... it's hard to stretch a cat that far, and certainly not worth the effort as far as the tone is concerned. :)

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021