Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

dumb things ya did on stage on accident?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mybluespector, Apr 5, 2004.

1. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    For me it was at a show in Joplin Mo about 350 people there. They i guess didnt think the rotted floor on the stage was a big deal! So i was jamming in a song when my leg goes through the floor. So damn funny that the drummer fell off his thrown. I was fine but the club had to buy me a new pare of pants. I just went with the joke its all i could do! :help:

2. mybluespector

mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    it was a jazz gig! i wasnt trying any david lee roth stuff! :p

3. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Our "manger" wrote out setlists for all of us. He left a song off of mine - one of the songs I start by myself. The drummer counts off 1234... nothing. I look at him, the band looks at me, I look at the 500 people in front of me, and say "What?". Drummer counts off again, 1234, and... nothing. I look at him, the band looks at me, I look at the 500 people in front of me, they look back at me, and I say, "What?"

We counted off 3 times before we realized what was going on. The crowd loved us anyway. Or perhaps they loved that I almost kicked the singer off the stage.

4. Dropping my Ibanez on the floor, shattering the finish by the jack. My strap just suddenly let loose and BAM! A perfectly nice bass ruined.

5. Well, this isn't something that I did, but it was something I saw and it was pretty funny. My band was playing with another local band and before they played the first note, the guitar player came out and tried to swing his guitar around his back when his strap fell off and he snaped the neck right in two. Never try this move without straplocks :)

6. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    Spat out my gum into some girl's hair by accident.
    Same show, knocked over my mic stand with the neck of my bass, but caught it.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Hopefully, not into the hair of the schweet blonde behind you!

Uuuurrr 'Bass humor and Gig stories' ===>>>>>

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    1) fell off a stage - the stage was high one - good thing i was in shape and a lot younger at the time

2) my straplock gave in - we were playing Crazy and my bass fell and made a loud, loud sound (all 6 strings were crying!). the sax player came running to help hold my bass up, but i just ended up squatting like i was throwing dice on the street corner

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    This isn't something that I did was dumb.. But I was playing a gig this past friday for a Relay for Life thing.. we were setup on the main stage and for some reason 4 different times, 2 different monitors rolled back and fell off of the stage.. these were mackie powered monitors... the sound guy just laughed.. it wasn't our fault really.. but I would have cried if it were my stuff.. and the stage was about 3 or 4 feet off the ground.. no serious damage was done fortunately

10. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :)

This reminds me ...... many years ago I was playing wedding gigs to pay my way through college. We often had "cabaret" acts walk in and plonk sheet music if front of us to sight read. All went well for the first 2 songs but the third was horrible. Our drummer was all over the place. He was playing through stops, and stopping in parts that no-one else was...... at the end of the song, he threw his chart away in frustration and it landed near the feet of the keyboard player.

Keys:- "Hey don't throw that chart away. We're gonna play that in a minute"
    Drummer:- "You're kidding..... I just played it!"

It seems the singer handed the drummer his charts in the wrong order..............

11. At my first "real" rock gig I leaned against a curtain that was against a wall.

There was no wall behind the curtain.

oof.

12. Well, i was playing at this restaurant/blues bar in my home town and just before we went on to play the owner let us get some free grub. So i order the pulled pork BBQ sandwich with beans and cornbread. We get on stage and about 2 hours later after we started playing we took one of our set breaks and thats when i notice that somthing wasn't agreeing with my stomach...

15 minutes later we are back on stage and just before we count off into our first song of the 2nd set, i unfortunately let out this monster fart....i just dropped my jaw and so did the rest of the band while the audience just laughed it up. needless to say i turned beat red.

13. snapple

snapple

Nov 25, 2003
    Victoria-Vancouver Canada
    Endorsing Artist: PCL Vintage Amps
    I smacked my guitar player in the face with my headstock.. got him pretty good too. I've also lost my strap halfway through a song and had to play on one knee.

14. odie

odie Supporting Member

Spector boy!!!! Just so you know. There is a forum for this topic. Read the FAQ and rules and should steer you right.

Enjoy.

15. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I would have covered myself by asking the sound guy to fix the low frequency feedback :)

I did a gig once at a venue that has a corner stage that doesn't quite make it to the wall. I looked at the gap and thought it would be a wonderful place to put my amp, on a stand, facing across the stage so the Nice EV PA could take care of the FOH.

The guys in the band arrived shortly after, took one look at the position of the amp, pointed and started laughing hysterically while exclaiming "that'll fix it" over and over. I had absolutely no idea what they were laughing about.

When they calmed down they explained. Their regular bass player (a friend of mine) had a tendancy to wander off mentally during a show. The last time they played there, the singer decided to give him a little poke in the ribs to wake him up mid song. It worked a little too well. He got such a start that he lost his balance and put one foot in the gap. He somehow landed in there bum first with legs up in the air. He used his arms to break the fall so with nothing to mute the strings, the bass made that BBOOONNGGGGGGGG noise basses make when they collide with something hard. And of course it was 5 times louder than the rest of the band!

The poor guy ripped his jeans, broke a string, and took a nice chunk out of the bass. He couldn't get up and the band were laughing too hard to help him. He couldn't even get his hands to the strings to mute the BBOONNNNGGGG noise.

I wish I was there.

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Bwaaaaaahhhhahahaaaaa

:D

17. LoJoe

LoJoe

Sep 5, 2002
    Concord, NC USA.
    I was substituting in a band for a bassist that was out of town. I was helping the guitar player and drummer setup the equipment on stage. As it is on my home turf, once we had everything hooked up, I started sound checking mics and instruments. The guy at the sound board barks out "You need to keep your pants on and wait until I tell you I'm ready for soundcheck!" The drummer shrugged and said "Sorry about that, he tends to want total control". I say "No biggie. He must be like my soundguy, jealous that he doesn't know how to play any instruments, and compensating for a tiny peni.."

Two problems:

1. There was an overhead choir mike near above me designed to pick up anything within 10ft. It was on. The whole room heard my commentary including Mr Soundguy.

2. It was in a church.

Needless to say, he kept me turned way down through the whole set. I guess I deserved it...

:bag:

18. Thats classic! Hhaahahaha, Good as! Well, in the church once again, half way during the songs, we had a break so the guitarist thought he'd turned off and started playing Led Zeppelin and went into ACDC! And then finished it all off with metallica not realising he was still on through the house and the whole congregation just sat there in awe! Hahahaha And you should have seen the pastors face :O Oh my!
    Thanks
    Troy

19. this didn't happen to me, but i saw some bass player do it at our Battle of the bands. well he was moving to the groove he was playing (he was a poser..) anyway he gets this dumb idea to stand on his amp... it was a tilt back amp...

...lets put it this way, the amp wasn't the only thing that tilted back that night...

20. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Haha.

Peace
    Nick