1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumb things you've done to equipment

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by MiniMoose234, Apr 27, 2010.

1. Ok, this is a thread to inform the world about silly careless mistakes we've all made, hopefully informing others :p

I just got the pickup and bridge cover for my highway 1 p bass, as well as a tort guard.. And the holes didnt allign..and i drilled them wrong.. and when i realized this i completely flipped :crying:
    I also got a wiring kit to get the standard wiring, and with my very basic knowledge of soldering...completely messed it up. somehow the tone knob doesnt work, and the volumes in reverse :meh: Still not sure what i did wrong...

For the time being, its a very gorgeous P bass, and plays great...just no amplified sound :bassist: hahaha

So what are all your stories?

2. I've got one. I'm new to playing an active bass so I assumed that you had to take the strings off to change the battery. Well in my stupidity i cut the curled tips off the strings to get them off easier and now they don't fit. On top off it all, I really don't have the cash to buy new strings. But I bet my bass is gonna sound great now that I've replaced the battery. All I need now is a set of strings :bassist::ninja:

3. cap'n crunk

cap'n crunk

Apr 6, 2010
    California
    Hmmm ... dumb things I've done to equipment ... let's see ...

Oh, I know. Continued to buy it when the stuff I have is perfectly serviceable. GAS is a hell of a drug.

4. David1234

David1234

Jun 1, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Endorsing Artist: SWR Amplifiers
    Defretting an SX PJ impatiently. Now's it's junk! Might buy me a squier now.

5. Sundown1206

Sundown1206

Jan 26, 2010
    Chicago
    I was being an idiot with an old combo amp a friend sold me.. decided to take a look inside and broke the head -_- eventually I got a decent GK half stack and head. BUT I figured the old amps speaker should be fine so I took the head portion off, and rigged the speakers cable with a female jack. Now I have a half stack + a decent amp on top both running under my GK head. Worked out for the best lol

6. Was enormously frustrated with a POS Yamaha RB260 bass, so I hucked it down the local river from a pedestrian bridge. Man that felt so good watching it float away into the abyss. The knobs were even cock-eyed, all facing different directions. To this day I will never ever ever touch another Yamaha product. That first (starter bass) was the reason I stopped playing for 7 years.

7. xxfaux_punkxx

xxfaux_punkxx

Mar 18, 2010
    Indiana
    I used to read my tuner wrong and tune my bass GDAE. Ended up stripping my E and A tune pegs.

8. jp58

jp58

Dec 9, 2009
    Tennessee
    Pick it up :(

9. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    Used Lysol to clean my bass.... Stripped the tung oil finich right off the neck!!!!!!

10. Atnum

Atnum

Jan 14, 2010
    First time I changed a string I was careless at the bridge and the string cut into the wood. Good thing that this was on my 100 dollar knock off bass so not much harm done.

11. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Played a whole gig out of phase.
    Luckily none of the equipment broke.

12. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    Out of phase?

13. blockinlay

blockinlay

Feb 21, 2009
    Phila Pa
    Used Goo Gone to remove a sticker. Left it on too long, but wiped it off before it took the finish off. It left the finish bumpy and distorted. I wetsanded and compounded to bring it back to smooth as best I could. Might be a good way to relic an instrument, if you're into that.

14. Late 80s or early 90s...my little band used Pyros on stage. Silly bassist (me) had all his tools, extra strings, batteries, etc. arranged in his case and like to leave it open for ease of access.

Bassist leaves case too close to the rear charges....

Oh the smoke that came from the insuing fire really stunk up the place....and the fire-stomping dance had to be a sight to behold.

:bag:

15. cnltb

cnltb

May 28, 2005
    Yes.
    The cabs were connected incorrectly.

16. subopposite

subopposite

Jul 23, 2008
    Vermont
    Let my drummer touch my bass.

17. JMac- Wiskerface Designs

JMac- Wiskerface Designs Terror headcase dude

Jul 8, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    When I was fifteen, I decided I was going to paint my harmony strat. I took it apart and got to it with a orbital sander and some 40 grit to remove the finish. Needless to say it came out a little swirly and bumpy, and the rattle can paint topped it of well with a orange peel finish that stayed soft for six months. Around that same time I tried my hand at amp repair, and almost burnt my Mom's house down.........

18. dpbass613

dpbass613

Feb 21, 2009
    i am curious when you say you were out of phase by hooking the cabs up incorrectly...did you have the wrong ohm load from your head? The order in which you plug your cabs in would not matter, what would matter is the if you head can handle the ohm load you are sending out ie sending 2 ohms from a 4 ohm min head? Is that what your meant?

19. caeman

caeman The Root Master

Sep 17, 2008
    Ohio
    Allowed a bass player to sit down at my drum set once.

Once.

20. Matt in TN

Matt in TN

Nov 5, 2009
    Baxter, TN
    Sold my gear...:crying: