Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumb wood finishing question

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by McHack, May 28, 2004.

1. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ok, I've been asking around, & reading a bunch of finishing stuff, & have a question....

How well does aerosol Nitrocellulose stick to a body, that's been rubbed down w/ Tung Oil? I've been told Polyurethane doesn't stick very well, but there are some polymerized tungs which could be used.

2. This should be posted in one of TB's specific forums like "Luthiers" or "Setup". You might get better responses.

3. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Ya know,, thx Ham. I spend so much time here, or in Amps that I forget the Luthiers Corner's even there...

4. GrooveSlave

GrooveSlave

Mar 20, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    I can't say for sure, since I've never tried it, but my instinct is that nothing will stick to it very well. If it were me, I'd continue researching the problem, but I think you may end up sanding the tung oil down to the bare wood and starting over.

Just be very careful here. Maybe doing a test finish on a piece of scrap that has been tung oiled.

Best of luck with this.

5. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Been there, done that!
    I tried remove tung oil from a body once and finishing it with a hard gloss finish. I eventually had to strip off the gloss finish. It was basically peeling off in some areas. I sanded the body down and used minerial spirits to try to nutralize the tung oil but nothing seemed to work. The problem is that the tung oil penetrates fairly deeply and you just can't remove it all. I'd recommend using polymerized tung oil. Thats eventually what I did and it worked great. There's an excellent artiicle in Bass Player Magazine written by Rick Turner on using Polymerized tung oil to finish a bass. You should be able to find it in the archives. As a matter of fact I just finished putting the first coat of polymerized tung oil on a new Gecko project I just started. It procduces a great durable oil finish! You can get the oil from:

Sutherland Welles LTD
    1-800-322-1245
    or www.sutherlandwelles.com

You'll need sealer and finishing oil (I'd recommend Low Lustre)