Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumbest idea in awhile?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jon R, Mar 21, 2002.

1. OK... so I need more volume and punch than I can currently get out of the Trace 65W combo I'm using. I'm also WAY short of cash and like the tone I'm currently getting. I could buy another identical amp ($260 new... $100 - $150 used) and use a splitter to send the signal to both amps. This would give me a total of 130W RMS/260W peak through 2 12" Celestion speakers. Good idea?... or are my brain cells fried? :D

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The idea is ok, but will only give you a 6 dB boost, 3 dB from doubling the amp power and another 3 from doubling the speakers.

To get double perceived volume you'd need a plus of 10 dB aka 10 times the amp power.

Better save up for a combo or stack in the 300+W range.

3. I understand about the extra watts doing very little to the volume/punch... but I would have thought that doubling the amount of speaker area would make a substantial difference...

FWIW I don't need to double my volume... just add to it.

4. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    You don't even need a splitter if the amps have an effects loop.

Effects out of amp #1 to effects in of amp #2. The amp #1 knobs control both.

Cost: 1 guitar cord!

5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    It does--it makes as much difference as doubling your power.

6. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    You'll get a bit of a boost in volume as the guys said. But what you will also get with the 2 amps is a cool way of using stereo effects and have panning effects!!

Where the effect swells in one amp then as it decays swells in the other - can make your sound seem very full and 'big'.

But then again, you might be better getting a bigger amp and just going for volume!

7. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    I do something similar - I bi-amp my lows into a 150w Ampeg B3 and a 30w Trace Elliott Boxer for the mids and highs. Even though the Ampeg is a heck of a lot bigger, adding the Trace boosts the volume considerably.

If you're going to do this, think about getting a different brand of amp than the one you already have, ie, one with a different tone - that way, you may be able to put it to some use in situations where you don't need both amps. Don't use a splitter either - you'll likely lose a good chunk of signal, even with a good one. As was suggested, use the effects loop, or maybe get a cheap A/B box.

Still, using two combos is no substitute for a nice towering stack... :D

8. I use two 150 watt Ampeg B3158 combos. It's good. I don't use it for an increase in volume, but more for having more speakers. Two 15's is a heck of a lot better sounding than one. And I could make a full blown stack...just put one on top of the other. Although when it falls over and kills me, well...oops. :)

Oh, would I have anything to gain by getting an A/B box instead of using my Boss Chorus with 2 outs?