Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dumbest or most careless thing you have ever done to your equipment

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Flea24, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Flea24

Flea24

Apr 7, 2000
    One time after a gig i was kinda excited still well i packed up my stuff and then i still had my amp on top of my cab. well i have a hartke 7000 mounted in a rack case well the protective covers were on my case well anyways i got pushing it across the floor and on the stage i didnt notice but it dropped say 1/4 to 1/2 inch well my head fell off my cab and hit the stage floor i was pist it didnt do much damage didnt hurt the amp nor crack the case but the mounts werent as straight so i straightened them out but i was upset over it

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    When I first got my bass, I turned the tuning keys the wrong way, tightening my strings instead of loosening them (I was trying to drop tune). The G string snapped and the nut broke. My bass was only a few weeks old.

3. before i got my bass, I played guitar for almost a year..
    One night I was having some wine with my friends and took my squier strat and amp to the backyard to play while we watched the stars..
    being kinda drunk, I took the amp first to where my friends were sitting and suddenly heard a noise that hurt me in the asss.. the guitar was plugged into the amp.. I dragged the guitar over concrete floor for a meter and a half or so.. You can imagine what happened to it.

4. If I'm not mistaken, I spotted one punctuation mark in there.

Just one.

Kinda irritating, trying to work out where the author wants the commas and full stops and semi colons and what not...

Or maybe I'm already used to the IB exam papers with perfect punctuation and grammar after only 2 days of mock exams.
    :p

5. Since I moved into a small apartment, I stored my bass amps at my parents' house in the basement. My mom has two cats. Both amps are now streaked with yellow stains all over the front and sides, since I didn't bother to cover them up.

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
  7. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    haha poor dan..thats funny..

hmmm dumbest thing i did was i stripped the head of the pickup height screws on my first bass. anyone know how i could get those screws out?

8. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Our band did a destruction act one night to close the show - I saw the rhythm guitarist kick his stack from behind. I took off my Precis and swung it by the neck like a baseball bat at his top cab as it was falling towards me.

Not a pretty picture.

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings

Rick, my friend... you have lived every bass player's fantasy - to smash his guitarist's rig into small pieces! :)

That is the way it turned out, isn't it? No injuries, I hope?

10. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

thrash - It really wasn't as apocalyptic as it may seem. I knew he was nuts, so I was on guard.

The Precis slammed into the front of his Magnatone 4x12 top cab face-on instead of with the side of the Precis body, so all that really happened to his cab was an easily replaceable torn grille while my Precis stayed intact.

It looks crazy to the audience, but if you have a reasonable idea of what your gear can withstand, it's not doomsday.

Going to an original The Who concert was a baaaaad influence.

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    A few years ago I bought a used Stingray 5. In retrospect it is the most comfortable bass I have ever tried, I still regret ever selling it. If I needed another rocker this is what I would look for again.

Anyway, I didn't like the color so I decided to repaint. With car touch-up spray cans... The blasted paint didn't dry up properly, or perhaps I used too much clearcoat too soon or something, the thick layers of paint and laquer just never got hard. Eventually I reassembled the thing and the paint sort of bulged up around the bridge and pick guard, and just touching it made dents in the soft gooey paint. I had to strip all paint off and try it again. Not that it helped since I still was no master painter :) The final solution was paint stripper and leaving the bass au naturel. Terrible, I still break out in a sweat...

12. NioeZero

NioeZero

Sep 2, 2001
    Dumbest? We usually end our sets with an improv song, at the end of which we just go bonkers with feedback and random noises. I scraped the neck of my bass against a mic stand, getting a slide sound out of it. Not quite satisfied, I took the bass, held it by the body, and ran it face down against a monitor. "Grindgrindscrapescreeeeeeeeech...." Tore a few strings off, left it lying face down in front of my cabinet with all my pedals turned full blast. It sounded awesome, but the neck was all out of whack, and its still got some paint damage.

Most careless? Let my drummer play it. :D

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Translation to English:

One time after a gig, I was kind of excited still. Well, I packed up my stuff, and then I still had my amp on top of my cab. Well, I have a hartke 7000 mounted in a rack case. Well, the protective covers were on my case. Well, anyways I got pushing it across the floor, and on the stage I didn’t notice, but it dropped say 1/4 to 1/2 inch. Well, my head fell off my cab and hit the stage floor. I was pissed. It didn’t do much damage. It didn’t hurt the amp, nor crack the case, but the mounts weren’t as straight, so I straightened them out, but I was upset over it.

14. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000

15. Let my guitarist write a solo and name my bass after my ex.. :p:oops:

16. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Painted (note painted, not recovered) all of the band's gear in white. NEVER, NEVER do this when you're in a road band with no flight cases! :eek:

17. FrolicHoek

FrolicHoek

Nov 14, 2001
    Dallas, TX
    I was playing in a talent show in high school. The act before us was going on outside the curtain of the stage so we could set up. As they cleared away the piano, I went over to the girl who was playing the piano to give her a congratulatory hug on her performance. Bass was still plugged in, and Instead of the cord unplugging, it ripped out the electronics of the bass.

Of course, I was in high school, so this was the only bass I owned. I started getting very nervous as to what the heck I was going to do about a bass. I thought I was going to have to beat box it on the mic. Luckily, there was another bass in the choir room. I didn't even have time to tune it before the curtain opened up to 700 of my fellow classmates. That almost made me give up bass forever, but I am glad I didn't.

18. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    separated the neck from the body a la' rickbass1's 'weilding
    the bass like a baseball bat'. Took three good whacks too - or
    "strikes", if you prefer :(.

19. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX

Whenever I read the thread title, this was the first thing I thought of:D