Dumbest thing you ever did with a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 21, 2021.

1. sleddogn

sleddogn

Sep 8, 2013
    i've thrown my p bass twice at people charging the stage, and not in a good way, to protect myself...

mikewalker likes this.
  2. sotua

sotua

Sep 20, 2004
    Somewhere in time
    Defret my only bass. It eventually turned out ok (my defret job was moderately awful, then a luthier fixed it, then I played fretless for a few years, got bored, refretted it, and the refret job turned it into my #1 "bury it with me" bass), but at the moment? Damn that's a dumbass move.

Runner up is buying a bass with an obvious repair for a crack in the neck. It sounded and played so nice that I went ahead and bought it, enjoyed it for a couple of years, and you'll never guess what happened next. Yep, the neck went. And I was broke-ass college student at the time so the repair was a very low budget one... grew to hate that bass.

Garret Graves likes this.
  3. Played it.

JimmyM likes this.
  4. Grizelda100

Grizelda100

May 16, 2020
    San Diego
    I had my 95 MIM J in a gig bag. The kind with backpack straps on it.
    The zipper was not all the way closed so when I put it on my back to head out the door I heard a loud bang.
    It slipped right out and slammed butt down onto my floor.
    The bass wasn't damaged but it did leave a strap button sized hole right on my new hard wood floor.
    I wasn't too upset because the bass was fine...my wife didn't see it that way.

Smallmouth_Bass and mikewalker like this.
  5. brian579

brian579 Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2011
    Staten Island, NY
    I have 2 occasions of me being unintentionally dumb and neglectful with my basses:
    1: After a parade gig on board the back of a flatbed truck I left my bass on a stand while I went to retrieve my car and packup. While the rest of the band was packing up their gear on board the truck, someone pulled on a cable and also yanked my beautiful Kramer Spector to the street face down. I was 19 and had just spent my hard earned savings on a refret for my prized red Spector. I came back to find my bass laying face-down on the asphalt. I picked up the bass and every brand new fret was dented from the impact. Why on earth would I leave my bass unprotected on a stand, on a truck? Also why would I bring my best bass to an outdoor/parade gig? Way to go numbnuts!!
    2: While packing my car up for a gig I left my double gig bag loaded with 2 expensive Pbasses up against a tree on a NY city street. I got half way to the gig and realized l had left my basses against the tree. Fortunately and unbelievably they were their when I came back. Ol dumbass strikes again lol.

spatters, bobyoung53 and mikewalker like this.
  6. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    I bought my first electric bass for $150, to play in the middle school jazz band. Getting off the school bus with it, the case popped open and my bass fell out on the concrete pavement, putting a couple nice gashes in the finish.

It's not unthinkable that somebody on the bus had un-latched my case.

It was still playable, and I played it through middle school. When I got to high school, I decided the path of least resistance for repairing the damage was just to strip the finish altogether and apply several coats of tung oil, which I did. As was typical of Fender basses of the era, the ones that were destined to be painted were made from mismatched scraps of lumber, but mine at least has an interesting look and I've never complained. I think it might be some kind of poplar, but I'm not a wood expert.

I made the pickguard by tracing the original tort guard onto a piece of black acrylic sheet that I got from a place that made signs and sold plastic scraps by the pound. I shaped it with a coping saw and files.

Probably the dumbest thing was being too lazy to learn how to play a bass with frets. I was already playing cello, so "fretless" was again, the path of least resistance. I de-fretted the bass while in high school, and filled the slots with "mahogany" plastic wood.

And here it is today, 44 years later. I'm taking it to a gig tomorrow.

upload_2021-7-21_21-16-17.png

caug, bobyoung53, MynameisMe and 9 others like this.
  7. jpmcbride

jpmcbride Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    EDIT ... this is referring to the Epiphone Ripper thrown in the lake story!

I think this one should be disqualified for not meeting the requirements. Jimmy clearly said the contest was for "dumb things" done with a bass. This seems very reasonable and maybe even a smart course of action :D

mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  8. JKB1957

JKB1957

Jul 18, 2015
    Pulled a Keith Richards at a show back in the early 80s. Had my hand wrapped around the neck of my Fender P-Bass, that was plugged into an ungrounded Ampeg V4B, and stepped up to an equally ungrounded Shure mike. Yep, I completed the ground. After I recovered I flipped the polarity switch on the Ampeg and kept playing. Not a fun experience.

bobyoung53, mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  9. ACRock

ACRock Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2018
    SR PA
    Quit playing it for 25 years

10. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    That reminds me of when I was around 14 with my first electric guitar.
    My amp was very small and underpowered so occasionally I'd plug into my dad's stereo system. It was quite expensive for the day and, knowing what I know now, dad probably saved up for quite some time to afford it.
    One time when using a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal the sound cut out completely and I thought I'd blown it up...... but 10 mins later it was working fine so I thought it must have some sort of overload protection. Using all of my teen stupidity I figured that it's protected so I can really crank things up. Sure enough it stopped again..... and didn't come back on again. I'd killed dad's stereo. Luckily for me they were on holiday 1000km away and weren't due home for over a week so I thought it best to phone him and tell him hoping he'd calmed down a bit by the time they got home.

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Oooh I got some good examples but will need time to collate.

The dumbest are perhaps yet to come as my stupidity knows no bounds.

12. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Did it float?

BOSS302BASS and JimmyM like this.
  13. BOSS302BASS

BOSS302BASS

Sep 27, 2008
    Devon UK
    In 78 when I first started getting bass lessons I bought with my folks' help a 76 Mustang Bass. it was all original down to the crappy shaped pressed cardboard case. I didn't realize it at the time but it was an awesome sounding bass. But three years later I turned 16 and started hanging out at a music store near my school after hours, and the sharks running the place relieved me of a fair bit of cash for their so-called brilliant single 15 speaker boxes, and then convinced me to mod my Mustang. They relieved me of further gas pump monkey earnings by convincing me I needed a 34" scale fretless neck and P bass pickups in my Mustang. Basically completely destroying the bass for me. It lasted until I was 19 and walking down a main street in inner-city Melbourne one day I spied a stripped Jazz Bass hanging on the wall of a pawn shop. Turned out to be a 1969 model and they relieved me of AU$500, which in 1984, was a big whack. But it served me for 1000 shows between 84 and 2000. When dumbass move #2 kicked in - I sold it to buy parts for another Mustang restoration - a 1969 351 powered Mach 1.

14. Had a 69 Gibson EB-0, leaned against my amp and it fell over onto the tuners( slotted headstock tuners pointed towards the back ) snapped the whole headstock off . Tried glueing it back on , it held even with a big gap and stayed in tune . Gave it to my future brother in law .

15. Hounddog409

Hounddog409

Oct 27, 2015
    ohio
    Well, here is my stupidity.......

I bought a new Ric 4003S Fireglo in 2016.
    Brought it home from the store and straight to bedroom. Open the case, go over it, play a bit. Go to put it in the case and dropped it. Body hits corner of case - and nice chuck of paint gone the size of a quarter. Nice little dent as well. Not even an hour old.

I leave a trail of curse words as I head to the kitchen for a drink. My son, who was 7 at the time, saw how mad I was and decided to fix it. Since he did not have the proper supplies on hand, he used what he had.

Which was an assortment of Crayola markers.

Didn't actually turn out to bad.

spatters, caug, MynameisMe and 6 others like this.
  16. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I'd actually like to see that. The kid's got a good heart.

caug, MynameisMe, mikewalker and 4 others like this.
  17. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

I had this big huge Bill Lawrence pickup installed into this 69/70 Tele Bass. It was 1977, what did I know.

The bass stopped putting out sound so I took it to the local shop. They called to say that the Fender pickup was toast and that they could install another or boost the out put with an after market pickup. Since I was in a very loud band playing Hendrix, Cream, etc. I told them that I wanted the hot pick up. They called a few days later saying that the pick up cavity would have to be enlarged a little. I said ok. When I picked it up I just about died. But it turned out to have such a great sound that the pickguard fell apart :eyebrow::meh::blackeye: 20180709_114820.jpg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
    bobyoung53, mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  18. Doner Designs

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    This is up there among my worst and most heartbreaking errors. I drilled the wrong horn for the strap hook. Guess I could put post on both horns for optional wearing like a Bill Wyman Mustang bass.

Color or patch is looking like it needs touch up or maybe it’s from the flash.

AD289873-3FEF-4E22-B5F9-16B264E2D68E.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 21, 2021
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Actually, I think you lucked out getting an early Bill Lawrence pickup put in it. I think some would give you almost as much for it as a stocker.

The Owl and juancaminos like this.
  20. juancaminos

juancaminos Supporting Member

Yeah maybe so. On another note: after buying several pickguards that didn't fit...I just got a black one that just needs a little trim by the pick up! Yippie!

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021