Dumbest thing you ever did with a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Billyzoom

Billyzoom Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    That story was kind of Erie…

2. Outbush

Outbush

Nov 6, 2016
    Australia
    Basses - yep more than once - and ceiling fans. No lingeries, no girl, not even any rush that can recall. Sigh…

Low Down Brown and Mili like this.
  3. ryan pate

ryan pate

Dec 23, 2020
    seattle,wa
    A0272506-E9C3-4095-80CC-6C8C85D8EDF2.jpeg 8C290455-F6FE-43C4-9743-02828BCFFCD9.jpeg 68C0A707-71D1-4AF0-89C4-6D17BA6D3CA9.jpeg 3E049F46-A634-4F47-8B2A-90F514CC9021.jpeg 4DB42E78-74F0-4AC4-96C6-71933D73FFF5.jpeg 8C290455-F6FE-43C4-9743-02828BCFFCD9.jpeg
    In order to get a band goin at 19 (enter being chosen as the worst guitarist among us)I bought a new Squier P Bass and a used Sunn/Randall rig in 1988.I played hundreds of shows with that bass as recently as 2018.Earlier that year I brought it for a backup bass to the studio for our bassist at the time.I took it out of the gig bag and when I set it in the stand It was much shorter and smaller than his Squier Mustang Bass.I was ridiculed ridulously.But played it off mostly.What I mean to say is I had no idea after all those shows,all my friends other people musicians at shows no one ever said and I didn’t notice it was small.So at this point no big deal right? No one knows I didn’t know.until the last few years and well now as you all read about it....
    I’ve done some research and now know that it is a 32” medium scale with the body size reduced and is actually a desirable bass.if it weren’t covered in stickers,headstock sanded and painted among other variously occurring abuses over the last 30 plus years.I can’t tell you what the serial number was /is but I do know the truss rod adjusts at the heal (and has never been touched since I bought it)also it can ride in the back of an open bed F 250 with the rest of our crap from Kenai to Anchorage,Ak. in late October in the snow for some Halloween shows and stay in the trunk of a Volare in the hot summer for over two weeks presumed lost or stolen.....
    Ill attach an embarrassing photo montage of my ongoing dumbassery for you.... A0272506-E9C3-4095-80CC-6C8C85D8EDF2.jpeg

4. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    i went to school in East LA. Do you remember the school?

5. Billyzoom

Mar 1, 2011
    Bay Area
    This is the greatest!

Chickenwheels, Mili and JimmyM like this.
  6. DanTheQuaker

DanTheQuaker Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2015
    Seattle, WA
    The dumbest thing I ever did, back in the mid-80's, was have a Kahler tremolo installed on a nice P bass. I rarely ever had use for it, and it killed the tone and sustain of the bass. I can't for the life of me recall why I thought I needed to have a bass with a whammy bar.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2021
    bobyoung53, MynameisMe and JimmyM like this.
  7. Rjb1101

Rjb1101

Jan 4, 2021
    As long as it won’t get you in legal trouble, it’s fine to post.

8. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Eastern Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    I had a black (jet-glo) 4001 Rickenbacker that I lovingly modded with Carvin 22-pole humbuckers, a Badass bridge, Schaller tuners, and a blue textured acrylic pickguard with a mirror backing and no onboard controls. It sounded phenomenal.

I lent it to a friend. Someone stole it from him. He knows who did it. He never tried to get it back. He tried "replacing" it with a Fender jazz.

I don't want a %*&%$ Fender jazz. I want my %*&%$ Rickenbacker back.

9. I bought one 40 odd years ago, does that count? :D

JimmyM likes this.
  10. 70spbase

70spbase Fender/Ampeg for over 30 years!Portaflex #449 Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Started playing….

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Tell you what...I have one bass I had built for me that has a Kahler whammy, and though I'd never buy another one, it's fun to have, and I never had a problem with sustain. I wonder what went south in yours. Lots of folks put them on P basses and similar with success.

mikewalker likes this.
  12. Rjb1101

Rjb1101

Jan 4, 2021
  13. Gothic

Gothic

Apr 13, 2008
    Greece
    Well, I got a thing.

I had a cheapo jazz that I converted to fretless. Everything was ok but the fingerboard needed to be leveled. I didn't have tools or much experience at the time, so I decided, ok, let's take it to the local carpenter. He'll probably have a sander I can use to kinda sorta get there. So I took the neck and went.
    Note, the nut was still on.

So, I told him what the issue was and dude takes the neck and proceeds to take it to the belt sander, before I could even say anything. Result was, most of the board was sanded FLAT. Quite some material taken off. And there was this HUGE hump in the first fret/nut area. Which of course, made the bass unplayable.
    After exchanging a few words and debating whether a beatdown was worth the prison time, I took it home and tried to sand the hump down. To no avail, of course.

I sold the rest of it for parts. R.I.P.

14. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014

I once lent my bass to a crooked, dope-fiend — in 1979 — who, later on, said it had been 'stolen.' The worst part is, I believed him :wacky:

15. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America

It sank right down into the lilly pads!

Doner Designs and mikewalker like this.
  16. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America

Indeed. I live in NY now so I guess I need to get frustrated with another bass. The Hudson is right down the street.

mikewalker likes this.
  17. Element Zero

Element Zero Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Snorted lines of coke off the back of my Ibanez with my 2 female roommates back in the early 2000s… life was VERY different back then.

mikewalker, Low Down Brown and Mili like this.
  18. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    Yea! And the paint reacted with the varnish, and it never dried, so I mixed everything and waited for it to dry and left it like that. It was a Squier California PJ, the worst Squier that ever lived.

mikewalker likes this.
  19. KlankTank

KlankTank Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2021
    New Jersey
    Not sure if this qualifies as "dumbest thing done "to" a bass", but it is dumb...at a gig a couple of years ago, changed out the 9V battery in an active J bass. About halfway through the first set I thought my bum left thigh was acting up again. I grabbed a stool to sit on to try to alleviate the pain but it just kept getting worse. I thought "this is gonna be a long night". At some point my leg hurt so bad I reached down and found my thigh was literally burning hot. I reached into my pocket and promptly pulled out and flung/dropped on the stage, a smoking hot 9V battery and some hot coins that had shorted across the battery terminals. Yeah, it left a nice little mark. At least it didn't burn my fingers.

20. Fernando Costa

Fernando Costa

Aug 4, 2013
    Lisbon
    All black Squier PJ! Toggle switch and tone, plus adhesive inlays, and nasty muddy headstock! a.jpg b.jpg c.jpg

mikewalker likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021