Dumbest thing you ever did with a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JimmyM, Jul 21, 2021.

1. BassAndCigars

BassAndCigars

Apr 19, 2021
    USA
    bobyoung53 and vin*tone like this.
  2. xn34

xn34

Dec 17, 2020
    When I was 15 I used to jam with a friend every weekend me on guitar him on bass, made me want to try bass.
    Found a cheap pbass clone at a used store for $50, painted flat black with house paint, hard to play.
    One weekend my friend comes over with an acoustic guitar his cousin gave him after someone sat on the body at a party. "Lightbulb!"
    We cut the neck off the rest of the acoustic, took the neck off the bass, bolted the acoustic neck on the bass swapped over the tuners after drilling out the headstock and strung it up. Didn't help the playability, but we thought it was cool.
    Hung it on my wall for a while until the nail came loose and it broke on the floor.

3. wmhill

wmhill Inactive Suspended

Aug 20, 2012
    upstate NY
    MTD basses endorsed artist Bartolini pickups emerging artist TECAMP bass players gear endorsed
    There was absolutely nothing wrong with what you did= in fact you deserve recognition for your plight!!

rogerbmiller and The Owl like this.
  4. Giffro

Giffro

Apr 29, 2017
    South Australia
    Dumbest thing you ever did with a bass...gave one to my ex-wife

mikewalker likes this.
  5. bassnat

bassnat

Jan 31, 2011
    Refinished my 1964 P bass

6. jam.majors

jam.majors

Mar 24, 2009
    Louisville, Ky
    I love your ramps!

Barry Vestal likes this.
  7. Put a jazz bridge pickup and a first generation Badass bridge on my ‘73 Precision. Stoopid stoopid stoopid!! 70s Precisions get a bad rap but this is a good one that I earned my living with for a long time. I was the early 80s. I was a lot younger and had no idea what I was doing. I still have the bass and won’t ever sell it but I regret modifying it. I didn’t improve it.

mikewalker and Jim C like this.
  8. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    The bass and the Dart?:rolleyes:

JimmyM likes this.
  9. GonePlaid

GonePlaid "It needs a bridge cover" Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2016
    Southeast FL
    Good one, @JakobT.:laugh:

JakobT and JimmyM like this.
  10. Had to think a bit but I remember, what not only the worst thing but also the dumbest
    is sanding off the logo on a 66 precision. My brother painted the Bass and I wanted a matching headstock.
    Oh the errors of youth!! I was about 14 at the time. I even traded it off to buy an amp later on!!
    If I only knew HaHa!!
    I also sold a 76 MusicMan stingray that Forrest White (one of Leo's right hand men) sent me.....but needed the money after getting Married!
    I guess it was worth it......Still Married but I still regret that decision LOL!!

11. LBS-bass

LBS-bass

Nov 22, 2017
    Decided it might be a good career move.

12. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Painted my 67 Gibson EBO green .
    My brother and I did a good job painting but still !
    Later we added the small pickup and controls to make it an EB3 and stained it dark walnut and put abalone along the edges of the body . A friend that worked at the Martin factory did the abalone . The bass looked really nice then but still sounded like poo . This was in 1970 .

spatters, mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  13. IMG_3012.JPG tenor (12).gif

IMG_3010.JPG tenor (76).gif

:roflmao:

14. 4StringMadness

4StringMadness Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2019
    East Texas
    My girlfriend’s sister paid me a visit when she was a little “tipsy”. Against my better judgment I let her in and as karma would have it, she bumped into my ‘74 Jazz bass which fell forward catching the edge of a nearby table causing damage to the neck binding and gloss finish. It was new at the time and it was my first ding. Still have that bass. More recently I fed a precision headstock to my ceiling fan.

15. Miles_ONeal

Miles_ONeal Wrangler of Raucous Thunder Supporting Member

Dec 1, 2017
    Round Rock, TX
    Nobody wanted a soggy bass.

DJ Bebop likes this.
  16. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah, you know I have this one set of publicity shots in B&W from back then and that's about it. I did that from 1971 through 1973; had the time of my life; and met my wife. In fact August 1 is the anniversary of when we met in 1972 (49-years ago). I managed to convince her to come on the road with me and we got married three months later.

I just wish those shots were in color. We had some outrageous shirts. I still have the red lace shirt that I would wear under that vest but unfortunately now I can't put more than one arm into it...yeah, I was skinny back then. I've made up for it since...

mikewalker and Jeremy Crockett like this.
  17. Rip Van Dan

Rip Van Dan DNA Endorsing Artist Supporting Member

Feb 2, 2009
    Duvall, WA
    Yeah, we wanted white shoes to go with out white pants and vest, and had a heck of a time finding anything in enough sizes to fit us. The "Big Man" in the group was a gentleman by the name of Tom Ellis and he wore size 14...

The pants and the Vest (with gold chains) were double-knit from back then and the tops of those shoes was double-knit too. Had a gum sole and they were really more like wearing slippers than shoes.

mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  18. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I've made the mistake of putting a 9v battery in a pocket with change too. Damn they can get hot!

MynameisMe, mikewalker and JimmyM like this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    Trust me, I was forced to wear much worse in a band I was in. Orange and lavender jumpsuit with a white fringe macrame belt. It was not my choice, we all hated them, but the guy in charge who did the Elvis show liked them.

20. BassAndCigars likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021