Dumbest thing you've done after a gig.

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by chazsundance, Jun 22, 2021.

1. chazsundance

chazsundance Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2011
    Spokane, WA
    My guitarist reminded me tonight at practice, this is probably the dumbest thing I've ever done after a gig. This was probably early 2000s, we had just finished playing at a local metal dive bar and we usually loaded all our gear into my small truck bed or put everything in two cars and drove it all back to our practice pad. This show however ran late (past 1:30am) and we decided to not haul the gear to the pad and we'd all be taking our own things home.
    We had a few beers too many that night and we all decided to crash at our guitar players house since it was a few blocks away. This was in a bad neighborhood, lots of bad people wandering the streets at night and his neighbor was one of the biggest bicycle thieves in our city at the time, as well as drug dealer (we think).

We all go inside and crash, I wake up the next morning and walk out to my truck and in the bed was my Warwick Double Bass gig bag which had my Music Man Stingray 5 and my MM Stingray 4, next to that was my brand new Mesa Boogie Big Block 750 sitting up right like someone was about to carry it in but left it.

I couldn't believe it, I still just shutter thinking about it :woot:

Anyway, whats the dumbest thing you've ever done after a gig?

2. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I can't say the neighborhood was as dicey as the one you describe but I did a similar thing with a leather double gig bag in the back of a wide open Suzuki Samurai. Another time, I left a Bag End cabinet on my front porch overnight.

mikewalker, kesslari and chazsundance like this.
  3. biguglyman

biguglyman

Jul 27, 2017
    Rochester, NY
    After having not eaten anything since the afternoon, I went and did a load-in, three+ hour gig, tear down and load out. After all that work (and no food) I decided a puff of the herb was a good idea. WRONG! The sudden lowering of my blood sugar caused me to pass out on the floor of the bar, scaring the poopie out of my bandmates.

4. roccobass

roccobass Still funkin’ in the free world.

Jun 25, 2014
    California
    It was 2:30 am and I left my beloved Jazz just outside the dark back door area of the club we played at after load out. Drove almost 20 miles and was about 2 exits from home when I realized my faux pas. Did an illegal U-ey on the nearly deserted freeway and floored it back there. Thank god it was dark and everyone had already left. My girl was still there. :wideyed:

5. Went home with "her".

6. Oddly

Oddly

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    A blonde waitress called Betty...

7. About 5 years ago we played at a pub that’s 80-90 minutes drive from my place
    We park down an alley next to the pub to load in and out
    Anyway we finished the gig, loaded out and all went home
    When I got home I realised my bass wasn’t in my car... I ran upstairs in a panic and told Mrs Bassman.... I knew I’d left it outside the pub in the alleyway.
    Mrs Bassman has a level head and called the singer / drummer (who live 20 minutes from the pub) and told them what had happened.....
    They went back to the pub and said the bass was right where I left it
    I’ve never been so relieved in my life!

Neil, SemiDriven, mikewalker and 10 others like this.
  8. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    Loaded out, drive home (an hour and a half away) and realised I had no basses. Id left them by the back door as it was raining ready to pop in once everything else was loaded.
    cue frantic phone calls.
    Since it was a bike club gig, they were still ‘active’ , and they looked after my gear overnight until I could collect them the next day!

AudioTaper, Neil, mikewalker and 6 others like this.
  9. Winslow

Winslow

Sep 25, 2011
    Group "W" Bench
    You too, huh? :laugh:

:D

:bag:

10. Gormsgade

Gormsgade

Jun 17, 2005
    Denmark
    And married "her". Big mistake!

11. mexicant

mexicant

Aug 28, 2012
    Mid Michigan,USA
    Ate taco bell after a late night show......

12. 4dog

4dog

Aug 18, 2012
    her name was Lola...she was a showgirl.

13. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    ... who walked like a woman and talked-a like a man?

mexicant, Raman, mikewalker and 11 others like this.
  14. Rather bold of you to assume I’ve achieved my worst. ;)

15. Crash 56

Crash 56

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, Wa.
    I , unfortunately wasn't so lucky... Got hammered after the gig, barely made it home to a lousy neighborhood, and left my gear in the unlocked truck. got up to a hangover and a missing 73 jazz bass and my Sunn concert bass head gone...That's one reason I don't drink any more!

16. Bunk McNulty

Bunk McNulty It is not easy to do simple things correctly. Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2012
    Northampton, MA
    The catalog is too long to even consider...one from the early days: Getting really stoned right before the gig. My time went out the window, as did lyrics to songs...

17. lfmn16

lfmn16

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Go to sleep with Pamela Anderson, wake up with Orca.

doh.jpg

18. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    Our rehearsal room was not too far from the gig place. It was late at night and we were young and drunk and pumped up from the gig.
    The road was freshly paved. The car was too small to fit all the gear. The lead guitarist and me sat on our cabs and we tied a long XLR cable to the car. Things started smoothly, but quickly got out of hand. I lost a caster on my cab and the guitarist nearly broke his wrist. Cabinets with revolving casters can't do corners.

19. I was still in high school and had just purchased a brand new Sunn Coliseum 300 bass head and a Kramer (Hamer?) red headless explorer style bass. I debuted it an underage house party. We rocked the house, at least until the cops showed up. We were loading out and some people offered to help. I watched as my bass and amp went out the door to my truck, only they never made it my truck. I was totally crushed. Since then, I've never lost a piece of equipment. Between idiot checks, check lists and overly protective storage additions, I've been methodical about account for and keeping track of where my stage equipment and my PA equipment is. So far... Knock on wood.

20. TheReceder

TheReceder

Jul 12, 2010
    Mn.
    At least she didn't walk like a woman and talk like a man.

Garagiste and JRA like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021