1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dummy pickup---wiring and affect

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NickyBass, Mar 30, 2009.

1. NickyBass

NickyBass Supporting Member

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    I saw an F Bass on TB that had a dummy pickup in the control cavity to eliminate hum. I've also seen dummy coils within pickups. So, how would I go about wiring a dummy pickup into an existing single pickup single coil bass? Also, wouldn't the dummy pickup be always on, hence picking up a signal?

If this is in place, would there be any affect on the tone?

Thanks for any advise.

2. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    tagged on...I've been wondering about this myself.

3. You'd want a pickup with similar windings, but no magnets. Wired in parallel with the 'real' pickup, but out-of-phase. This cancels hum without producing a sound. It will darken the tone somewhat.

4. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Or you could just use a normal pickup lowered so far into the body cavity that it picks up very little signal from the strings.

There was a thread about this recently, and i think this is the cheapest, easiest way to go about doing this.

EDIT: and here it is! http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=528477

5. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
    Thanks for the info. I actually did some testing last night, after I posted. I just wired a single coil right into the existing pickups and there was no hum. I'm not sure if it affected the tone since my son was sleeping and I couldn't play loud.

I wonder if this could be built into a pedal enclosure......

6. it would be cool if someone did something like what john suhr is doing with his strats on a jazz bass. two pickups that are the same polarity and a reverse polarity dummy coil in the control cavity.

7. NickyBass

Nov 28, 2005
    Southern New Jersey
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    Yeah, I've seen that as well on John's site....truly, why hasn't this been done for basses?

9. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    Not in your implementation. Coils only cancel hum when they have the same "area" (i forgot the term, but it's number of turns times cross sectional area) as well as orientation. IE, the dummy pickup must have the normal of its surface facing the same direction as the other pickups.

That's why it needs to be mounted in the body.

10. the demo scott henderson did for it was pretty impressive. btw, heard back from suhr. they dont sell their preamp aftermarket.