Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dump it all for AccuGroove???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mario Lewis, Apr 8, 2003.

1. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Dudes and Dudettes,

I have an Epi 212, and two 112's.

[​IMG]

I'm thinking about selling it all and going with just a pair of AccuGroove Tri 112's. I only ever use one 112 or both 112's or the 212. So, I really don't need all this stuff.

Would you do a change such as what I'm suggesting?

Really looking for folks that have A/B'ed the Epi's and AccuGroove cabs.

Thanks!!

2. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    aaaugh! oh my god! aaaugh!

3. Sell the 212 if you're only using 2 12s at any one time.

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Dump one of the 12's and keep the 212. Then you can use the single 12 in a small room and the 212 for eveything else.

5. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    I am trying to sell the 212 anyway. (no real buyers because I won't ship it. Gotta be a local deal) I'm pretty much looking at having two 112's in the end. I'm hoping to get a chance to try the Accu Groove 112's to see how they compare. I have heard from some reputable folks (dealers and what not) that the Epi is more aggressive and in your face, whereas the AccuGroove's sound a BIT more sterile, but even more Hi Fi and the Tweeters in the AccuGrooves are smoother.

Don't get me wrong, the Epi's really do the job either with 1 - 112 getting 1000W or the stacked pair of 112's getting 1400 W (700 Ea) from my Peavey DPC. And I actually prefer the 2 - 112's to the 212!! Don't know what it is, but there is something about the two 112 cabs that just SMOKE!!!

I've considered selling the 212 and getting a 310. now THAT would be really awesome. I'd get a Mackie power amp slave it off of the PV and use it only for the 310. I'd have the doom and bloom of the 12's that still retain that punch characteristic and the REAL DEAL punch of the 3-10's. Hands down, Epifani makes some GREAT stuff. I would like to have tried the Berg's, but there wasn't a Berg dealer in Hawaii when I had the cash and was ready to buy. (Shipping would have KILLED me!)

The final reason why I like the 2 - 112 cab set up is because I drive a Miata. I can get one 112 and the rack and my Smith 6 in the passenger side (after I take out the seat) or I can get it all in there. OR, because I used to have a 310, I know that it'd fit in the car too with the rack and the ax. That's something I have to think about. I LOVE MY MIATA!! Can you imagine the looks on faces when THE BASS PLAYER pulls up in a Miata, pulls out his gear THAT STILL FILLS THE ROOM with a TON of bass!!

So I'm still back to my isue of Epi or AccuGroove. The AccuGroove's are looking REAL appealin'!!

The Grooves also have a lower freq. response (39 Hz) than the Epi's (46 Hz), which gets me really stoked. The Epi's handle a B string thump like a champ (with enough power)! I can't imagine what the AccuGrooves sound like!! But I can't wait to find out.

Anybody want to buy a 212 in the Bay area??

6. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    If that makes you sick, imagine playing this

!![​IMG]

along with my X wire for total freedom.

The part that will make you REALLY SICK is that I've been in Oakland since August of last year, and this stuff hasn't left my house - NOT ONCE!!

For the life of me, I can't find anywhere to play!!

So, I play to my wife and kids. They're starting to get irritated, so I gotta find somewhere FAST!!!

bay area TB'ers, know any band (funk, old school. R&B, gospel) that needs a bass player?? PM me!!

7. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I haven't played through the AccuGrooves but have got to hear them played through with skill, by my bass instructor, Jake Kot. He's an endorsee. They are simply awesome. You hear EVERYTHING and they are crushing. Well worth the effort of trying to see/hear/play through. Jake's using the 112's and/or the 118. And I got to hear that 18" alone, being driven by a WT-300 and it was very tight (no flab) and very loud and clear. But those A-Grooves are spendy.

I really suggest that you do the comparison. AccuGroove is in the Bay Area.

Oh, and that sure is a REALLY SWEET looking Smith. I'll bet that it sounds great through your rig.

8. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    No, definitely not as sick as the Epi stack. I used to own a Smith BSR6-TN & a Smith BSR5-MW but the sound just got kinda boring to me - not my cup o tea. (you can see pics at vanselus.com)

but man, that stack o' epi. now all you need is a 810 sitting next to it on top of an 18".

yeah!

9. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Ummmm, I don't want to hurt anybody. The front three rows would all have bloody ears after the first set!!

You're Smith's are (were) SWEET!!! I should take my pic down and never show my face again!

10. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    no no no, yours is a beauty too! besides, basses are always many times more beautiful when played in the hands of someone who loves them :)

11. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Why wont you ship?

12. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Do you know how much MORE it'd be to box that thing up sufficiently for shipping? And then, the cost of shipping it for the buyer would pretty much make the sale impractical. He could just as easily buy a new one insted of paying an additional $150 or more to get this one.

Just not worth the hassles.

But I guess, if there is a buyer that would be willing to pay to have it boxed and shipped, I'd send it. I'd be scratchin' my head the whole way.

Interested??

13. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    You might to check around for shipping. I shipped an Eden 410. At 95 lbs it only cost me like 58 bucks to ship it from Washington D.C. to Oregon via ups.

14. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    That's a pretty good price, Rick. I just shipped a Bag End 15, to Cleveland from Portland, at a box weight of 60 pounds and it cost me $50 for UPS ground.

But still the Epi cab should be under $100. And it sure opens alot more opportunities for selling the cabinets.

If you decide to sell the 112, please give me a shout. I do like the A-Grooves alot but they are still a bit spendy for me.

15. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    Just for the record, I'm trying to sell the 212, not the 112's. Those, I wanna keep.

16. Mario Lewis

Mario Lewis

Jul 6, 2001
    Clinton, MD
    No I haven't. That's actually one of my original questions. Has anyone out there done a comparison? I HOPE to get to try one in the next two weeks, but we'll see. Depends of the folks at Guitar Showcase in San Jose can get one from the builder. I'll be sure to post my results.

17. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA

yeah, that's the main reason i want to get another avatar 112 - being able to seriously rock a room with the contents of a 240sx is almost as big of a feat as the miata (but not as much as the dude who wanted a rig he could tote on his motorcycle!!!). but the 240 is a bit bigger on the inside than it would appear: i've put an upright, stool, 112, soft rack, and gig bag in there before :D

i ALMOST sold everything i owned for a honda s2000 a few weeks ago...the whole test drive i was mapping out where all the gear could go in my head. it'd never work :(

18. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I've had quite a bit of experience with Epifani and Accugroove gear....at least more than your average guy, I would imagine. I've tried several Accugroove cabs in different situations and have listened to others as they've played thorugh the cabs too. In my recent search for a new rig, I went with a 3X10 Epi. The Epifani gear beat the Accugroove great every time. Accugroove cabs just sound weak, dull, and unispiring...to my ear. The one's I listened to also demonstarted a lot of cab vibration and made a lot of extraneous noise. The Epi cabs did not.

On a separate occasion, I tried the Accugroove stuff against the new Phil Jones cabs. Accugroove came up the loser again. Keep in mind, I'm mainly talkig about how they perform with a 4-string, vintage, fingerstyle player (using a jazz bass). For the active players the played slap-style, the differences were even GREATER in favor of the Epifani and Phil Jones cabs. While I'm happy with my Epi, and if I played slap bass and money/portability was not a factor, I'd have Phil Jones cabs stacked to the ceiling!!!! There is no comparison when it comes to tone, attack, defined, tight low end, and transient response. Plus, they're great for old-shool fingerstylists, too. However, for a more conventional cab, what you have is GREAT. You may want to trade the 2 1X12s for one of the new lightweight 3X10 or 4X10s, but otherwise.....you've got a great system. Give Dan Lenard a call at the Luthiers Access Group to get the skinny on these two cab manufacturers. He sells both and could give you a lot of great info (www.luthiersaccessgroup.com).

19. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    By the way, since I just violated one of my own pet pieves, let me make ammends. I HATE reviews when the guy says "Dude, that bass rocked!" or "Man, that amp was killer"! For reviews that are probably more detailed that you could ever want, do a search for my past review posts (use JPJ and the keywords of the manufacturers, etc.). You can also check reciews at bgra.net, harmony-central, etc...but my old posts here are extremely detailed. Good luck.