1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dump the Nemesis NA-650 for a Thunderfunk 550?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by steamthief, May 28, 2007.

1. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I like my Nemmy, a whole lot. That it goes down to 2 ohms is a big plus. It's never given me a second of trouble. And the blue light is hawt.

But the eq on the 550-B is sooo versatile, and it sounds so good. I haven't a/b'ed, but I understand the Funk is a really underated 550 watts in terms of loudness as well.

I play Aggie cabs, GS112 x 2 (1 NT), and an S410, all 8 ohm, and main bass is a Fender P/J. Should I take the gassy plunge?

2. Eublet

Eublet

Jul 28, 2006
    Since it seems you have not heard or played through one, I'd say no. Too risky, and you might not like it or feel it's worth the extra cash.

3. ShirazBop

ShirazBop

Sep 29, 2006
    Greensboro, NC
    The EQ in the short time that I have had my TF is in fact
    "all that". Incrediably flexable and a strong enough output for my applications in a contemporary Praise and Worship band.

I have been playing Ampeg Portabass gear with pretty favorable results but was looking for something more.

With the TF and Accugroove Tri 115L I am now dialing in the "tone in my head" using my passive Fender 4 bangers.

Just waiting for some cases and covers before the inaugural service gig at my church.

4. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    I found the smaller nemesis to be a total snore. I would go audition some amps and decide from there.

5. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    if you are familiar with the david eden line of amps like the WT550 or even some of the time traveler heads AND LIKE THOSE TONES, then the thunderfunk is in that similar area of tone and warmth. I sometimes think the Eden 550 has more thunder potential, more inherant low end command, but the Thunderfunk is tonally MORE flexible than the wt550 and you can dial in most of the eden-like thunder on the funk.

see my sig. if push came to shove I'd keep my funk rather than the eden. I love the aggies too!!! :hyper:

6. Having tried the Thunderfunk (TFB420) and being impressed with the warmth & clarity it produces, I'm still not convinced to dump my NA650 which does equally well in the warmth & clarity dept and has more power to boot (although I can see an impedance argument brewing with that statement). As fine as the TFs are, I don't see much justification for switching from my NA650. I'm totally satisfied with mine and intend on using it for a very long time. I'd suggest finding a way to spend some time w/the TFB550 before making your determination, but as for me, I truly want for nothing else but my NA650. Alot of folks may see it as Eden's red headed stepchild, but IMO, it can easily hang with the boo-teeks of the world and then some.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021