1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dumping an ampeg stack and going with avatar

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jpark, Apr 9, 2006.

1. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    What do you guys think? :bag:

Currently running an svt410he and svt1510he with a kustom 1200h head. I like the tone I'm getting from it but both these cabs are heavy and neither sound very good on their own. I'm just about to pull the trigger on a 4 ohm avatar 212 and a 4 ohm 410 and sell my ampeg stack. I would use the 212 for small gigs and bring the 410 when I needed more volume. You guys think I'm nuts?

2. If you get a better tone from the avatar , Id say go for it .

3. Dude,..:spit: I mean just......:spit: IMHO If it's weight, you are gonna have to do better than AVATAR.Not trying to knock them(I do own one)But,I don't think econo cabs do the trick as far as tone,Just, something missing.I do use it for it's wieght but, I would never give up any part of My Ampeg rig for it.

4. I hate to disagree with the Bassman, but I just finished doing what you are thinking of doing, and I regret NOTHING. Other than the fact that I can't seem to move my old cabs......(see my sig).

I've lightened up my entire rig, and I couldn't be happier. The tone is still awesome, and I can lift everything in 2 trips or less rather than 4. I take the 2x10 to rehearsals and super small gigs, the 2x12 to smallish gigs, and both whenever possible. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with that setup. A 4x10 would SMOKE, but the 2x10+2x12 is all I'd ever need now.

Avatar cabs are FAR from "econo cabs". Inexpensive doesn't necessarily mean "cheap". BUT, if you can, TRY BEFORE YOU BUY. What's great for me, may not work for you.

5. I'm not saying they are not well made cabs,I love My 4x10.I'm just saying if I was going to dump My Ampeg stuff I'd be looking towards cabs like-Accugroove,Epifani,..ect...I hear those are light and have great tone.Hmmm,..I do need to lighten up a bit rig wise...:eyebrow: :)

6. I semi-agree.....

BUT, having played through Ampeg gear for as long as I have, I have no complaints playing through Avatar cabs. I can still get a pro-sounding tone from mid-priced cabs. That's a great selling point, never mind the fact that the Neo cabs are SUPER light!

There's a ton of options as far as lightweight, high-end cabs go, but I still believe that Avatar will give you the best "bang-for-your-buck", and I've played through Epifani, Aguilar, Accugroove, Bag End, Ampeg, Eden, Ashdown and the like. Some of those cabs DO sound better, but at 2x-3x the price, it's just not worth it for me. I'm 100% satisfied with my Avatar cabs.

7. I agree...They have been the long time"best bang for the buck" for quite some time.Also, the price on high end cabs is like,..:eek: I have one of the older 4x10 cabs from Avatar and it holds up well.I'm going to check out the new stuff soon.:smug: :)

8. I figured I could get Bassman on the same page. He knows where I'm coming from, we just had to meet in the middle somewhere. ;)

Bottom line is that there are better cabs out there, but are you willing to part with that much $$$ for an almost comparable improvement in tone?

I've played Ampeg products for years, and loved them. I consider Ampeg a high-end cab. Switching to Avatar was seamless, and I've reduced the weight of my rig by >50%, just on the cabs alone. The latest Avatars have premium crossovers and are just flat out awesome. I wouldn't trade my 210 and 212 Neo's for anything right now, even for "high-end" gear. They just suit my needs too well.

If you've played them, you'd have a hard time bashing Avatar cabs. They just flat out rule, and the lower price is a bonus. I say pull the trigger on that deal, you won't be dissappointed.

9. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I have been considering Avatar cabs for awhile now, in my search for a new rig. I have been playing an Ampeg rig for about 5 years now, and am looking for something different. I have pretty much decided on the Genz Benz GBE1200 head, so I can have the versatility of two channels, but I am still undecided on the cabinets for it. And Avatar is still in the running. My cabs are used for stage monitoring only--I run direct to the board 99% of the time. So saving some money and some weight wouldn't hurt, as long as they still sound pretty good.

10. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yes, I'd say both Avatar cabs would sound good on their own, and together would be massive. You certainly aren't going to degrade your tone, IMHO - although I do love Ampeg cabs - at least the SVT classic cabs. They're heavy but their worth it to me.

11. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    BTW - I once brought an Aguilar GS-112 to rehearsal as a substitute for my SVT-410HLF. It didn't work - not even remotely close. I know some people like to have small, light stuff for rehearsals, but I am a big believer in sounding as good as you possibly can at rehearsal - it makes it a lot more fun, too. I have an Avatar 2X10 that I love - it's an award winning cabinet - made by Avatar, so I know the stuff is not "econo" in any way, it fits in my small car, and I think it would be great for small gigs, or where you run direct to the PA. The Avatar stuff you're talking about is huge sound wise compared to my 2X10.

12. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    I don't like AMpeg cabs or heads so I say go for it.

13. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    IMHO, Avatar cabs can pump out lots of volume. But the sound is lifeless. Kinda like Peavey I guess (yay double flame)If you're strictly into hard rock then Avatars will do. If I were to move away from Ampeg I will go for something like Bergs to retain some of the flavor.

14. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I'm not dead set on avatar, they were the least expensive route yet still good sounding. My spending limit will be what I can get out of my current cabs. I need a cab that can handle my amp when I push them hard, we play fairly decent size clubs sometimes with no pa support so I need stage volume.

Within the $600-$700 limit, what would you guys recommend besides the avatar setup I mentioned?

15. This is not an Ampeg stack.

Just sayin'.

16. throw_this_away

throw_this_away

Mar 30, 2006
    Some day I will have a SVT and matching 8x10 cab... but on paper the ampeg cabs don't look that tempting. Mainly... heavy and they don't go that low as far as frequency compared to some other cabs (even the ported versions don't go that low). I have found the 4x10hlf to fart out on lows pretty easily... and many reviews say the same. Still, I need to try more ampeg cabs out to really have an opinion.

Avatar produce some great sounding cabs (I actually ordered one and loved the sound but returned it due to poor finishing). I don't think you can go wrong... but then if you ever decide to sell an Ampeg rig it will hold it's value much better.

17. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Sure Avatars are a great bang for the buck, but it seems to me you are taking a step backwards.

18. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    Sorry, half ampeg stack. I did have an ampeg head too but got rid of it.

19. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV
    I know, that's why it is hard for me to justify this. But like others have said, looking at the specs it doesn't seem like it. I found a used avatar from a fellow tb'er. I may buy it and see how it sounds. If i like it may order another cab.

20. What exactly do the specs need to say for the cab to sound good?