1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dumpster diving at GC...is this for real?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by petrus61, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
    Son of Wobble likes this.
  2. Tom Bomb

Tom Bomb Hypocognitive Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2014
    They do this with shrubs at my local shrubbery. It's murder I tell ya!

BurnOut likes this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    You should see what they throw away at McDonald's.

-Mike

Axstar and /\/\3phist0 like this.
  4. Without wasting my data on phaff, did they strip it but throw the body and headstock in the bin? And the hero rescued it and restored it, got a fully serviceable LesPaul for the cost of some glue and the hardware?

5. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Well, that would be an improvement on dumpster diving here in Vegas. Try it here, and you'll usually get:
    - something really disgusting:
    - a dead guy; or
    - a couple of homeless people fighting over the disgusting thing.
    I make it a point to leave dumpsters alone....:)

6. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    It's a business. They don't have to donate squat. They are not morally obligated to do so. It would cost GC a lot more in labor to get those pieces in playable condition than they could sell them for. 99% of players don't want a glued together busted LesPaul.

Honestly the guy who made the video is a self righteous jerk. Most of that stuff is crap to most people. He just happens to be one guy who has nothing but time to rescue crap and hates to see ANYTHING thrown away. I disagree with him.

fretter and Dominic DeCosa like this.
  7. Ironbar

Ironbar Inactive

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    OK, so the guy got a beat up piece of firewood. What next?

bolophonic likes this.
  8. BadJazz

BadJazz Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2007
    Eugene, Oregon
    I've dumper dived (diven?) my local GC several times but for shipping boxes. Never found any actual instruments.

MJ5150 likes this.
  9. I'm going to check big box store dumpsters next time I'm there, because I'm certain they're throwing out the gig bags that come with mid-level priced instruments.
    In the case of Fender ones, I think they're re-selling them, but for other brands they're just tossing them when they put the instrument out on display.

btmpancake likes this.
  10. I've put a shedload of miles on my vehicle driving to/from GC & Sam Ash lately.
    Anyway, on one of those trips it was early when they weren't even open yet, so I did some snooping around.

Sam Ash actually has a crusher for their refuse, so you will not be finding anything usable out there:

IMG_20171014_164446935.jpg

I circled the entire building where GC is & found nada, so I'm not sure how they dispose of their refuse.

BurnOut likes this.
  11. maxmaroon

maxmaroon Guest

Oct 25, 2010
    I was hoping for an after shot of a restored instrument...there aren't any videos on his page showing restored dumpster finds either...lame

12. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Vegas street people are very industrious.

One hot summer night when I couldn't pull my pals out of Larry's Villa strip club, i went to sleep in the car in the parking lot with my feet sticking out the back window, and awoke to two crackheads trying to slip my shoes off of me.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    BurnOut likes this.
  13. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    From some of the whinging that goes on here, I'd say they sell it on line....:whistle:

14. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010

Petrus, I didn't recognize you, what with the new icon -- until I was pulling it to my desktop! Win!

209234.jpg

petrus61 and BurnOut like this.
  15. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    Great idea. Grab-bag o' guitar parts.

Sell by the pound, like some charity shops in Oregon do.

BurnOut likes this.
  16. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    There was a guy here dumpster diving a instrument company and selling the stuff either fixed or as parts. They sent him a letter to stop, then they made a deal with him to sell all of it to him at bargain prices.

17. BurnOut

BurnOut It's The Billy Baloney Show Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2015
    The Natti
    Think everyone is destroying their stuff now, the bigger companies demand it.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  18. Saw it the other day searching for some Wu related stuff. It popped up on images and I thought it was probably one of the coolest things I've seen in a while. Naturally, I stole it.

19. Tax write off. +1 could have easily been donated to charity.

I've thrown out a guitar amp that gave electric shocks and unrepairable acoustics.

My brother rescues instruments & furniture dumped in his back alley way. He made $1200 from antique solid cedar doors he found and sold at auctions.

20. I remember there was an old bar that uses to be a prohibition-era Roadhouse in my town. They ended up demolishing it and put up a plaque, because that place doesn't seem to like history very much. Apparently they had an auction or something for a lot of the old stuff inside, because I saw plenty of antique shops advertising stuff shortly thereafter with the line "Al Capone used this _______. X dollar value."

Long story short, I almost made and sold a coffee table made out of Al Capone's old door.

Groove Doctor likes this.