1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunblane survivor turned rapist

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by i_got_a_mohawk, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Basically, when this guy was 5 years old, a gunman went into his school and shot a bunch of kids, this guy was shot in the chest and arm. Now, 15 years on, he's assaulted and attempted to rape a pensioner.

While I think what he has done is despicable. I can't help but wonder if the childhood trauma has shaped him into becoming what he has?

BBC News - Dunblane massacre survivor guilty of OAP rape attempt

2. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    Wow, what a freaking idiot.
    As far as his past ordeal being responsible for this? Hmm....that's really hard to say. It very well may, but then again plenty of folks who had uneventful childhoods go on to do some bad things as well, so it's exceedingly hard to say.

3. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    :confused:

[​IMG]

4. Predictably, I'm gonna say his past could take some of the blame, though it's hard to say how much

5. Stu L.

Stu L.

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I don't see how it could not have. However I like Dr. Egan's comment about how no other survivors have acted this way.

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Well, 50 Cent was shot 6 times, survived, and as far as I know, has yet to rape anyone.

7. True, but look at the number of people who are abused, do they all become abusers? No. But is there a relation? Yes. We don't all work the same way, especially not in regards to different stressors.

Going by wiki (because I don't know anything about 50 cent), he was shot 9 times in 2000. That'd make him 24.

I'm guessing getting shot at 24 is going to impact someone in a much different manner than getting shot at 5.

I dare say, statistically, it's likely that someone from all the people involved in the Dunblane case would become a violent criminal. Just one of these passing thoughts when I saw the newspaper article.

8. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    yes, but that's exactly why it's so hard to assign the past shooting as a factor-I would say "probably" but that's about as far as I'd go. Some people suffer abuse and go on to be abusers, while others do not, some folks who had pleasant childhoods go on to be serial killers...just too many factors to be able to pin it down definitively. Regardless, it's a damn shame ANY of it had to happen

9. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    PTSD can really wreak havoc with people's lives. We know that now. So yes, it's entirely possible that it could have played a role but we will probably never truly knowmm

bc

10. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    We are dealing with opinions here, so...

My opinion-his event back then had nothing to do with his raping someone when older. Always nice to blame something for a bad action, though. I always enjoy someone doing something stupid or evil and then blaming an event from years and years before as the reason.

I know, I know----a bad thing happened to you, so that means you can forget all about responsibility, morality, right/wrong, etc....it all just disappears one day and then you are totally unable to to control yourself. While sometimes valid, it is way too often used in a blanket-like fashion by psycho-babbling apologists.
    You don't have to agree, obviously, but that's my opinionated opinion and after all I've personally done and seen in my life-I'm stickin' to it!:spit:
    muttering to self: f'in weaklings and punks doing crimes...grrr....hang'em.....look at all the really traumatized kids that GET OVER IT and don't get criminal. Sheet, my mother spent WWII in Germany for gawd's sake and did not get all wacky or anything and my Uncle Joe was on the Eastern Front and survived and he's as kind, and clear-headed and nice as a guy can be....(falsetto voice insert)oh, but MEKer---not everyone is the same(falsetto voice insert ends)-----boo f'in hoo---hang the dude

11. Without a doubt!

(also, a side note for US TB'ers, Dunblane was the point that led to the handgun ban in the UK)