Duncan advice

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Horokito, Jan 8, 2004.

1. The time has come after 4 years of playing for a major overhaul on my bass. It's a yamaha BBN4. 4 string, alder body, ebony board, two J pups, 2 volume, 1 tone knob. I love the sound of Barts, but they're a little out of price range, and I've got a 150 buck gift card to a store thats a Duncan dealer and I'm looking for some input as to what model would be good for the sound I'm looking for and would accentuate the woods of my bass. At the moment Ive got light gauge Super Slinkys on it. I'm looking for a very full round sound, nothing to bright or punchy, but smooth and natural sounding. Thanks for any input.

(btw, I searched, but this is a very specific question dealing with a certain make of pickup and involving the tonal qualities of a specific wood combo, so I need to just outright ask.)
  2. My personal fav - SJB1s. The vintage model. Very nice overall tone, very round sound. But can be pushed hard if you want to.

Rock on
  3. Moo

Moo Banned

Dec 14, 2002
    Oakland, CA
    I love Barts also, they're my favorite. I think of barts as less treble and more bass, old school over hi-fi and I like the Duncan hot stacks the best as I find them warm and creamy, fat and greasy.

So for me they are the duncans that lean the most towards the fat beefy sound often associated with Barts.
  4. Thanks for the info so far guys, anybody else with some input is more than welcome to post!
  5. Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    I am a big fan of the SBP-2s. That's the Hot wound PBass pick ups. They are high output pick-ups that have more low end and less highs than the vintage series. These give me lots o thump and great fundementals.

Being that you are looking for Jbass P/Us, why not try one in the Neck position and keep the stock at the neck? You can always swap it out later.

It's amazing how poorly my posts read when I write them after my bed time.

Good luck.