Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan Antiquity II for P-Bass

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Arthur U. Poon, May 14, 2004.

1. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    I have a MIA Fender Precision Standard. I've narrowed my choice for a replacement pickup down to the Duncan Antiquity II with the "raised A". Can anyone recommend an online Duncan dealer with the best price on this pickup?

Also, If anyone can recommend a better choice of pickup than the Duncan, please feel free. I'm trying to get a smoother, more defined tone with better string to string balance. I'm also hoping I can get closer to the vintage P-Bass tone.

Thanks in advance, A.P.

2. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
  3. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    How about the Nordstrand NP4? I love mine-great tone and clarity, no matter where the tone knob is.

Jay Lewis can tell you all about those at www.blueberryhillbass.com

Hope that helps! :hyper:

4. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks! Does the NP4 nail the vintage tone? I've emailed Jay.

I've also emailed questions about the Lindy Fralin pickup to a few people. I did a search and the Fralin pickup also seems to be highly recommended.

Thanks again, A.P.

5. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Honestly, I've never played an authentic 62 Pbass, or Fralin equipped bass.
    I use TI Jazz Flats on my bass, and IMHO it does the vintage tone very well-which is what I wanted from this bass.

Originally, this bass had a vintage style Pbass pickup. It sounded ok, but got muddy when pushed hard-no clarity to it at all.

With the Nordstrand NP4, you get a fat bottom, and lots of clarity to go with it. No matter where the tone knob is(it actually does something now)there is a good clear tone all across the spectrum. This is my experience.

The other thing was the great service I got from Blueberry hill bass. Jay knows how to take care of customers-he spent quite a bit of time with me, both on the phone, and the net.

End result? I'm very happy with my Nordstrands, and I think you would be too.

Let us know how it turns out :hyper:

6. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
  7. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Thanks to everyone who replied. Special thanks to Beefbass: Jay at Blueberryhill Bass is awesome, I'm going to try the Nordstrand NP4 in my P-Bass. :)

-A.P.

8. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Congrats! You're gonna love the NP4. Wait till you see what it ships in!

Jay is an awesome guy. I would buy from him again, just because of that.

9. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Jay, emailed me, the Nordstrand arrived on Sat. I'll post you asap when it's finally in my bass.

BTW, things worked out that I could buy a great 6-string bass much sooner than I expected. I have a Roscoe SKB3006 on order though Jay, he really has gone the extra mile to work with me. I really appreciate you recommending him.

"Talk" with you soon, A.P.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001
    Thats awesome. Got a great P bass pickup, AND a beautiful 6 string bass!

Glad that worked out. Please do let us know when that NP4 is up and going.