1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncan Designed to Fender CS 60s J-Pickups.. Upgrade?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by bobbykokinos, Aug 1, 2007.

1. I just got a Squire Vintage Modified Fretless. It comes with Duncan Designed JB101 bass pickups. I have an SX jazzer that I dont play hardly that has Fender Custom Shop 60s pickups in it..

In your opinions, would going from the Duncan Design to the CS's be an upgrade or would the difference be negligible?

2. Huge! Totally do it.

3. deaf pea

deaf pea

Mar 24, 2005
    Cuernavaca 1 hr S Mexico City
    Seymour Duncan/Basslines SMB-5A Endorsing Artist
    The "Duncan Designed" line of pups are versions of SD/Basslines models, but they are made in Korea. I don't really know much about the quality of the raw materials used in these pups, but I CAN say that pickup making IS labor intensive. I've been to the factory in Santa Barbera/Goleta, and EVERYTHING is done by people, by hand. I think that that probably accounts for the lower cost of the "Duncan Designed" pups - the less expensive labor costs in Korea. BTW, that line was designed for manufacturer use in mid-priced ($300-800US) instruments. The SD/Basslines pups are designed as "upgrades" for more expensive ($800-3000+US) instruments.
    With that background out of the way, I'd say that the Fender Custom Shop pups would probably be noticeably better. YMMV

4. Thanks for the info!!

Any other opinions??

5. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
  6. Thanks for the suggestion but its between the Duncans or Fenders which I already have.. Dont want to dump anymore money into an already cheap bass..

7. SuperSnake2012

SuperSnake2012 floppy b strings

Dec 12, 2006
    Bronx, NY
    Ah, well in that case going to the Fenders would be a big improvement over the DD pickups.

8. Cool.. I'm swap them out tonight or tomorrow and report back...

9. Well, I haven't gotten around to doing this yet but I'm thinking of doing it tonight.. Any more opinions if it'll be better or not?

I do have a question though that has me a bit worried. The pole pieces on the Duncans are pretty flush with the pickup covers. The pole pieces on the CS's stick up a fair amount from the pickup covers and if I dig in, it really tears up my fingers. Is there anything I can do to get around this?

10. Manol

Manol Too Sexy To Be Left Handed.

Oct 9, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Black electrical tape?

11. Well, I guess what I'm asking is are the pole pieces lowerable?