Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan Designed?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by topper, Oct 9, 2005.

1. SD makes a lot of pickups for manufacturers' production basses. This is one of those pickups (pulled from a production bass).

It is probably a decent pickup and for $5... you should be BIDDING ON IT! :D (I would, but I don't have any 5 string instruments).

2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Duncan Designed pickups, as far as I know, are NOT built by seymour duncan. They are built for Schecter, and are merely designed by seymour duncan.

3. duncan design = select by emg. ya dig? low-end line.

4. Thanks guys. That's what I needed to know. These look like a good deal, but I'll keep my eye out for something a little more high end.

5. $5 not a good deal? are you KIDDING me???

of COURSE its a good deal...

$5 is a good deal ANY DAY for a pickup...

6. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Depends what pickup you are replacing. Would you pay five dollars to replace the engine in a corvette with the engine from a Geo?

7. duncan designed ARE seymour duncan pickups and they are lower end pickups specifically for the OEM's such as schecter...

just because a pickup is lower end doesn't mean it sounds bad...

8. Dan1099

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Per schecter's website, they are not built by Seymour Duncan, merely designed there.

9. agreed, but...

I'm thinking more on the lines of paying $5 for a geo engine and just stick it in a drawer in case I ever came across a $20 geo...

capisce?

10. you're correct...the Duncan Designs are made for SD by an OEM in Korea...while not made in USA...they are designed after the SD's

11. I'm not looking to replace any existing pups. These would be for a custom project I'm building for myself. After a lot of reflection I've decided I don't want to build this bass on the cheap like I have with other projects. So I'll look for something a little more high end for this project.

Of course, that's not to say money is no object, so I'll keep up the bargain hunting...

12. Monomer

Monomer

Jul 22, 2005

My "select" pickups sound just fine, and were only $45 for the set.

I really should have picked up some copper sheilding paint when I ordered them, though.