Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan jazz lightnin' rods...

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Andy Daventry, Mar 20, 2001.

1. Can someone please give me some feedback about the Seymour Duncan lightnin rods jazz bass pups? The Duncan web site shows them as slightly mid cut. And also what is the noise level like? Are they quiet like EMGs?

All feedback, anecdotes, comments and observations are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    I have a P/J set of Lightning Rods in my four string. I also have the Duncan 2-band active preamp with the slap contour. I have not found any pickups that I like better. (I like them better than the stock pups on my MIA Jazz Deluxe! And, I would put them in that bass, but I want to keep it stock.) These pickups are active, and mine are dead quite. I had them installed about a month before I installed the preamp, and they sounded great then (IMO). (I only installed the active preamp because I was playing through several different amps, and I wanted to be able to dial in my sound with the bass, and not fiddle with the amps.) I would agree with the mid-cut description. The Lighning Rods seem to have a slightly smoother modern tone compared to standard Fender pups. I highley recommend the Lighning Rods (and if you don't like 'em, SD has a 10-day no questions asked return policy.)
    Lightning Rods = :D

3. Thank you Slater...useful info.

Anyone else?

Andy

4. btt

In the hope that someone else can give me more feedback. Any negative experiences?

5. btt,

Hope springs eternal....

6. Just in case anyone is interested in the results of my inquiries, here's an e-mail I just got back from Seymour Duncan about these pickups.

I e-mailed them asking:

Hi,

On one of my passive basses I am using nylon tapewound
    strings, which means there is no body connection via
    the strings to complete the ground..so it buzzes,
    until I touch one of the knobs. I was wondering
    whether the lightnin rods AJJ2 pickup set would be
    quiet enough to solve this problem? Are they like
    EMGs, not needing this extra ground?

Many thanks.

They replied:

No, none of our bass pickups will solve your problem; they need that extra ground. "Cha-ching!" for EMG on this one, I'm afraid. Sorry we couldn't help you...