Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan MM or Bartolini MM???

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by scottbass, Oct 23, 2005.

1. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    I have an old Stingray that I retrofitted with a Duncan Basslines Alnico MM pickup. I also installed the companion active EQ preamp. I use my Duncan/Stingray exclusively for my original electric rockin' blues band, ala Walter Trout, Corey Stevens, etc. I love the sound I get with the Duncan pickup & preamp.

I just bought a no-name string-thru, neck-thru (4 string) that came with a generic MM pickup that is pretty muddy-sounding. This new bass will be used for mostly modern country and classic rock (Nugent, Sabbath, etc.) I don't necessarily want my new bass to sound identical to the Duncan-equipped Stingray. Do you think I would be happy with the Bartolini MM pickup and an Aguilar on-board preamp? - My new bass is a nice, medium-to-thin maple neck-thru with natural, unfinished ash (not swamp ash) wings. The body is approximately p-bass shaped. I'm hoping some of you have experience with the Bartolini pickup and can compare it to the sound of the Duncan Basslines. Thanks!

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

I've had 3 NT's and they sounded sort of compressed and dull to me. You might think about a Duncan ceramic. Sounds similar to the alnico but noticeably brighter. Barts are Barts and they're different. I haven't had the alnico SD but all the alnico 5 MM's I've had (Carvin, Nord, Ray, Sterling that come to mind) were so similar it was splitting hairs.

There are reviews on the above pups in the Dimento MM experiment in the TB Pup FAQ thread.

3. scottbass

scottbass Bass lines like a big, funky giant

Jul 13, 2004
    Southern MN
    Thanks very much for the suggestion!

I have read all the pickup reviews/comparisons in that thread, and I found them very useful. I primarily bought the neck-thru to get more sustain for that modern country stuff. The ceramic SD sounds like a good idea - I assume it will add some definition to the tone without killing off the low end thump.

(Yeah, yeah, I know...country isn't my favorite either. But it is much more steady and somewhat more lucrative than my other endeavors.)

I'm still curious about the Bart, too. Of course there is no music store I can find that has a neck-thru with a Bart MM that I can play to get an idea of the sound. I am inferring from your "Barts are Barts and they're different" quote that I probably won't like them, given my preference for the Stingray type of sound?

Does anyone out there have neck-thru with a Bartolini MM?

4. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I have a bolt on w/the bart mm, and think its great.
    I'd look into the tri coil bart MM. People seem to be very fond of the aggie/bart mixture.

5. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    FWIW:

the implication was more the signature Bart tone is different than unappealing and to music it blends/disappears into most tunes anyway. I had Barts soaps in the Schec NT and it won't matter about the MM. If you've heard/played any signature Bart tone, then you'll know whether it's a consideratin or not. Most Barts sound like a Bart no matter what shape it is or what it's in and the MM is signature Bart.

The Bart will be noticeably more hi-fi contemporary in tone than old school. They also tend to have a slight muffled/muddiness to the mids and that's so with the MMs.