1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncan MM Preamp w/ multi pickups?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Jagdmusik, Nov 17, 2006.

1. I have a Duncan STC-3M3 Tone Circuit for MusicMan. The info on the Duncan site says it's intended for single-pickup basses, but I'd like to use it on a bass with multiple pickups (three magnetics and a piezo, with blend knobs and a Bartolini piezo buffer). I asked the Duncan folks if this would be possible and got some lame response like, "No, you cannot use it with multiple pickups because there is no blend control." Well duh. But I could just add one, couldn't I?

Is there actually any difference between the Duncan MM pre and their regular pre, apart from the presence or absence of a blend knob? Is there any reason to believe that running multiple blended pickups through the MM pre wouldn't work properly?

I don't see why the pre should really care how many pickups it's being fed... is there something I'm missing?

2. Gianni

Gianni

Jul 4, 2001
    Palermo - Italia
    You can use your preamp with multiple PUPs, infact the PUPs must be wired to the balance pot before the input wire of the preamp .

You can use both balance pot (500K if your PUps are passive) before the input wire or some selector switch or on/off/of switchs.

I have 3 PUPs connected to a STC3 Duncan Preamp and I use a on/off/on switch for a MM like PU (serie/off/parallel) and another switch on/off/on (bridge/off/neck) for a J PUP and a P PUP...

In this case I do not use any balance and I do not blend these PUPs, because they are too close o to far to sound good together, but with a J PUP at the bridge, a MM PUP in the meddle and a P PU at the neck who needs to blend them?...

Ciao!!
    Gianni

3. stef

stef

Jun 19, 2006
    Yes you can you can plug 2 pup via a blend pot to your stc-3m3. I curently use 1 neck +1 bridge mm pu and it sound great!
    STEF