Duncan Paranormal SFX-06...Bad Run? What?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Bongolation, Nov 10, 2011.

1. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Hey, I ordered one of these things on sale from MF for $40 the other day, and the guys who already got them are complaining of noisy bypass switching, a total fail.

[​IMG]

Do those of you who have been using previous runs of these things live as tone presets (one recommended use) to be switched in/out experience the dread noise when so doing?

I'm appalled that such a simple circuit with such a hefty $199 MSRP from such a normally reputable company would evince this problem.

As always, thanks for any useful information!

2. CaptainSir

CaptainSir

May 12, 2009
    Conyers, Ga
    i have this pedal, i am not sure what version or run i have...
    as soon as i plug in my board i go ahead and give all my pedals one or two stomps because sometimes i when you make that first stomp you do get an electrical noise....
    i will say i switch mine on and off during playing and i have no problem with switch noise... mine is very clean and awesome...

3. lowfreqgeek

lowfreqgeek

Mar 15, 2010
    Tijeras, NM
    Nothing to get excited or upset over; it's a true-bypass switch, which means that there *will be* clicking and popping when you engage the switch. Especially if it hasn't been engaged yet. Sometimes it's not even caused by the pedal that's being engaged, but by a DC offset on another device in the chain.

It has nothing to do with how expensive the device is, nor is it a "simple circuit" to completely eliminate pops and clicks in a true-bypass switch. For $40, I certainly wouldn't complain. Heck, I might buy two at that rate.

4. fishtx

fishtx

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    I had one of these for a while and thought it was one of the cleanest DI/Preamp pedals out there...I think the issue I had was it doesn't have a volume control...

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Well, guys with earlier ones say theirs don't. Most of my true bypass pedals are dead silent when switching in/out, including my own bypass conversions.

Well, there's nothing else in this chain except the bass and the amp.
    Too late.

I am totally unimpressed with this thing. It's noisy and is merely a gainless, run-of-the-mill 062-based 3-band active bass tone control stuck in a box with some fixed "slap" filter. I'm having a tough time imagining a use for this except as an amp backup pedal for live emergencies. It's not recording quality and its very limited functions are performed better in the studio by a real strip EQ or VST.

[edit] To be fair and accurate, I took it into the studio and gave it a try and found a better noise floor compared to what I had with the amp (why?), but it didn't do anything very impressive. Compared to a SansAmp (which had the same MSRP until recently), or even a good example of a BDI21, it's not accomplishing much with no gain, level or blend controls. That switch throws a nice, visible spike on the readout every time.

6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 14, 2021