Duncan Pickup wiring question.....help

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by superfly, Dec 23, 2004.

1. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    I bought a S Duncan basslines "vintage" pickup for my mexi P bass. Its seems the wiring diagram provided by S Duncan is different then the wiring in my P bass and Gearhead website.
    A few different soldering points and the capacitor on the Duncan layout is .022, while the capacitor on the Fender layout is .050 and soldered to a different pot tab than the duncan layout. Which is correct or preferred?
    Is there a sound difference between the 2 wiring layouts and capacitor values?
    Should I just wire in the 2 pickup leads like the originals or tear apart the whole wiring and re-wire to Duncan specs?

I'm alittle confused.. thanks!
  2. luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    The larger value capacitor will give a deeper tone with less treble. Don't know about the pot connection but I'm guessing it's just different and both schemes are correct in that they'd work, but there may be some variation on the sweep. Personally I'd just wire to the existing set-up and check it out. It's quicker, easier, and you may prefer it in the end anyway. At any rate, you'd be up and running and you're not going to damage anything in the process.