1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Duncan scpb-3 quarter pound in 50's classic vibe

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by pghjeeper, Mar 10, 2013.

1. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Thinking of going with a Duncan scpb3 quarter pound in my classic vibe 50's p bass. I'm going to use ghs precision flat wounds with it. Can anyone explain what the sound differance will be? Is the scpb3 a good pick-up? Sound clips? I wanted to use the Rio Grande Muy Grande but I can get a good deal on the Duncan.

2. parsons

parsons

Feb 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I'm just assuming based off of my experience with a Spb-3 and flats here...

It'll be boomy as hell. If that's what you're after, go for it.

3. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I want a vintage sound kind of 50's-60's beetles. I have two split p's for the more modern stuff. The oem pick up just seems a bit muddy to me it seems to loose definition when I string bend or when I play centain notes together.

4. pudge

pudge Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2008
    NY
    If you want vintage go with the antiquity.The scpb-3 is a hot p.u. i'm just guessing hotter than what you're looking for.I have a rio grande "vintage" scbp p.u. i'm still waiting to try .

5. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    I have always been one who just played a bass how it came. I have never really messed with pick ups. What will a hotter bass pick-up do vs a standard vintage one? I just more clarity and definition than what the squire pup provides. I actually thought a out getting a used fender '51 re issue pup. I have listened to antiquity II sound clips and that pup sounds a bit thin to me...there was a clip comparing that to a rio grande muy grande

6. BBox Bass

BBox Bass Supporting Member

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Pennsylvania
    Last year I bought a Squier 50s CV Precision with an SCPB-3 installed by the previous owner. It sounds pretty boomy to my ears.

7. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    The pickup on the Dyna-Gakki '51s and the Sting is actually a reasonably accurate copy of a '55 with compensated poles.

If the Antiquity is what it claims to be, it's probably pretty low output and not as even as good as that one.

I'm not big on pickups swaps, especially on basses, and especially on cheap basses, but I don't think that most people I've heard from who've gotten a SCPB Quarter Pounder have been happy with it.

8. pghjeeper

pghjeeper

Mar 11, 2011
    Why hate on a bass that doesn't cost much? I played a Gibson Explorer today at GC that didn't play nearly as well as the Classic Vibe.