1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duncan SJB-2 vs Dimarzio Model J for Fender Jaguar MIJ

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sideFX, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Duncan SJB-2

33.3%
  2. Dimarzio Model J

50.0%
  3. Fender Pure Vintage carrots '37

16.7%
  1. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Hello everyone.

The bass is a Fender made in Japan Jaguar Deluxe with 2 single coils, the bridge one beeing even further down, towards the bridge, than the classic 70's Fender position.

I've already upgraded the stock pickups with a pair of NJ4's but I wanna try something fatter, greasier :p

Let me hear your thoughts!

2. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Well.... truth is, I could use some more feedback guys ... :/

3. iiipopes

iiipopes Supporting Member

May 4, 2009
    If the bridge pickup is closer to the bridge than even the '70's J-bridge position, you won't get anything, no matter what pickup you try. This is because there is not sufficient string excursion at that point to induce fundamental tone into the pickup, so no pickup will help. The best bet would be to re-rout the opening for a soapbar, routing on the neck side of the pickup cavity, then install an EMG J soapbar "backwards" to get the active coil farther away from the bridge to get some real tone out of it, or at least any dual-coil pickup which will have one coil far enough out from the bridge to get some fundamental signal.

The bridge pickup on my Ibby 5-string party bass was routed like this: too close to the bridge. So I did the exactly that: I purchased a 40JX soapbar and flipped it around so the coil underneath the cover is in the '70's position instead of being too close to the bridge.

The other option is to just get an overwound J bridge pickup, say about 12 to 14 kohms' worth of 42 AWG wire on regular Alnico 2 or 5 slugs, and just live with the deficiencies of the placement. You may get a little more output, and it will definitely be more "greasy" due to the increased mids from the higher inductance and intra-coil capacitance, although you probably won't get any more low end as explained.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  4. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Yeah, that bridge pickup is certainly more towards the bridge. I'd go with the QP (it also adds the fat), but you will need the power to get any reasonable volume out of it. It seems like a strange design decision to put the pickup there.

5. sikamikanico

sikamikanico

Mar 17, 2004
    I'd go with Model Js before routing. Of course J tones are out of the question with that spacing, but it might be an interesting combo nevertheless - the neck pickup will carry the tone, and bridge might add some sizzle.

That's in theory, but you can usually find dimarzios used, and not lose much money in resale if you don't like them.

6. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Thanks for the input everyone.

here's a stange thing : I had the bridge pup up, as close to the strings as possible without them hitting the poles when digging in, and the sound was "ok", a little on the thin side...

and then I tried and lowered the bridge pup a couple mm, and now the tone from the pup is fatter and beefier, so what's the catch?? I thought pups that are close to the strings "catch" more of the string vibrations producing a stronger fundamental and a fuller tone :bag:

7. Zoobiedood

Zoobiedood Commercial User

Sep 1, 2015
    Writer/Ambassador/Artist/Resident Bass Expert for Seymour Duncan
    Well, strings that are too close to the pickup can actually get caught in the pickup's magnetic field and not vibrate as freely. We guitar players call it 'Stratitis'.

8. shoulderpet

shoulderpet

Sep 24, 2015
    A good suggestion, I like the QP as a bridge pickup as it is high output but without the mid heaviness that most high output pickups have (which is usually further accentuated by the bridge position)

Zoobiedood likes this.
  9. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    Those who voted for the SJB-2's please chime in, there's not much info on these pups and I could use some feedback from people that have/had them, or tried them.

10. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Is there room for a third J pickup between the two?

11. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    There is space but I don't think opening a route for a 3rd pup could be in the 60s position, imo it will be closer to the neck than the "60s" position. I don't know, what do you think?

rubb76.

12. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic

Mar 20, 2011
    Spokane, Washington
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    My suggestion would be to forget about the 60's position. You already have a bass that doesn't have the ability to give you the sound you want, with a pickup in the wrong place. You obviously like the bass enough to keep it and do surgery on it rather than get rid of it.

If you put a pickup in the middle between the two other pickups, I guarantee you will like the variety and blends of tones you can get from the result. (Look at the bass in my avatar. I guarantee it.)

If that was my bass, I'd route for a bridge J pickup either exactly in the middle between the two pickups and have the pickguard routed to match, or I'd route for a bridge J pickup as close to (touching) the pickguard as possible without having to modify it. Why bridge J pickup you ask? Because I'd put a set of DiMarzio Area J pickups in the neck and middle positions, and put an Ultra Jazz bridge pickup in the bridge position. That will give you the balance and flexibility to do anything you want tonally. Plus it will give you a bass that is guaranteed to attract attention.

Just my $.02.

13. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    You're right, I really like this bass, I don't see it going anywhere!

Truth is you got me thinking on adding a third pup in between the other 2, thanks for all the suggestions!

14. sideFX

sideFX

Feb 14, 2013
    38.02 N , 23.69 E
    I ended up ordering the Duncan SJB-2 after hearing this:

it's the tone I had in my head :bassist:

Zoobiedood likes this.