1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duncan Spb-3 vs. Spb-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Feb 22, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I have SD SPB-2 pups in my MIM P right now. They sound good but the duncan site says "good for country, classic rock, and soft rock", or something like that, and i agree, they are very "vintagey-mellow" sounding but with a good growl. They sound very good, but not for me. If i swap to SPB-3 quarter pounders, will i lose alot of the P sound? Maybe an odd question, but can any owners of these pups give me a better description on the sound of these? I know you can get a nice growl from them as i have heard them on recordings many times Can they still sound fat like a regular P (and everything in between) if you want them to?
    Thanks.

2. download the song not now with blink 182.. there is a bridge chapter in there where it's just drums and bass.. you can here there how a SPB-3 sound like :)

3. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Haha, i don't mean to sound cocky, but I've probably heard every blink song more times than anyone. Those guys are my heroes. I love the way marks bass sounds, and I'll probably start there when i get the pups, but i wanted to know what other kinds of sounds can come out of that pickup. I don't wanna hear that its not veratile because i think a pbass is very versatile, even though i don't think a bass has to be, but thats another thread. thanks.