Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan Spb-3 vs. Spb-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by StringsOf4, Feb 22, 2006.

1. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    I have SD SPB-2 pups in my MIM P right now. They sound good but the duncan site says "good for country, classic rock, and soft rock", or something like that, and i agree, they are very "vintagey-mellow" sounding but with a good growl. They sound very good, but not for me. If i swap to SPB-3 quarter pounders, will i lose alot of the P sound? Maybe an odd question, but can any owners of these pups give me a better description on the sound of these? I know you can get a nice growl from them as i have heard them on recordings many times Can they still sound fat like a regular P (and everything in between) if you want them to?
    Thanks.

2. download the song not now with blink 182.. there is a bridge chapter in there where it's just drums and bass.. you can here there how a SPB-3 sound like :)

3. StringsOf4

StringsOf4

Dec 16, 2005
    Haha, i don't mean to sound cocky, but I've probably heard every blink song more times than anyone. Those guys are my heroes. I love the way marks bass sounds, and I'll probably start there when i get the pups, but i wanted to know what other kinds of sounds can come out of that pickup. I don't wanna hear that its not veratile because i think a pbass is very versatile, even though i don't think a bass has to be, but thats another thread. thanks.