1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

duncan spb3s vs fender 62 vs dimarzo

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by spaz21387, Mar 17, 2008.

1. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I Just picked up a squire vm p bass as a back up bass, And cant belive that bass is a squire. But the pickups arent as nice as i would have hoped. I cant decide on which to go with. I want to increase the bass and the growl. So which one would be best? Duncan spb3s, Someone on here posted sound clips of the spb3 and i liked it but are the other options better? I dont really know anything about the fender 62 p bass pickup, And the dimarzo was the one with the blade magnets in it.

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    It all depends on what your after. I myself happen to like the SPB-3. The next guy to chime in will undoubtedly hate them. The quarter pounder has a fairly aggressive tone, especially with flat wound strings. What are you after?? Thump, or thud??

3. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    If you want increase growl and and hotter sound, i say go for Duncan's or Dimarzio since they both will not give vintage sound. Some ppl prefer duncan's some ppl prefer dimarzio. Is up to you at the end.

I've order set of dimarzio jazz set myself over the dunca's 1/4 jazz set.

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I was leaning in the direction of the spb 3 as well. I just a tone similar to richie of the bruisers. And I cant get that with the stock pickup. I need to go buy some new strings too so hopefully guitar center will have some duncan spb3s in stock too. And I was never able to sound a set of flats that i liked. I tryed fender and rotosound and they both sounded dead after a couple weeks. I want to try halfwounds but I cant find any localy.

5. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    Maybe flats is not the string you like.

If you like Stainless Steel, i go for Rotosound. I used them on all my bass except my jazz. But you can look into some nickel string (i.e Ernie Ball etc).

For p bass flats or nickel i perfer.

6. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    I didnt like rotosound flats at all. I dont think im a person that likes flats. I like ernie ball roundwounds and dean markely bluesteels. And the duncan spb 3 is on the way. So is swapping out the pickup on a p bass harder then a jazz bass? I did fine on my jazz. But I think the jazz might be easyer just because all the pots are on a plate seperate from the pickguard. But I could be wrong I havent looked inside the p bass yet. I will when The pickup comes.

7. badboy1984

badboy1984

Mar 27, 2007
    United Kingdom
    i think the p bass is more easier.