1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Duncan Twin Tube Blue vs. Tubeworks Blue Tube: Battle of the blue tubes

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by andrew, Apr 3, 2013.

1. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Vancouver BC/Pacific Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Two guitar classics that happen to sound great on bass too. Anyone compared the two? I'm curious which is preferred and why?

2. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amplification, Spector, Regenerate Guitar Works, Tech 21 NYC
    Figured it'd be a long shot but no one knows?

3. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    I believe JohnK did a Blue Tube build during his dirtquest, he would probably know the differences between the two units if anyone would. :D

4. Never played the Duncan.

I used to own the Blue Tube, and loved it. John K's clips of it leave me longing to get another sometime. Great, great pedal, IMO.

5. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The Blue Tube is a beast I have owned two of them and the "only" way I let them go was when I got my Meatsmoke Pre it is hands down the best little tube pedal you can get your hands on it reacts so well to different tubes you can find them cheap going from thick warm tube goodness to that slight tube breakup sound is as easy as turning the gain knob it is one of my all time favorite pedals ever.

6. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    I have the Tube Works Blue Tube. Works pretty good on its own, really sings if you add a LPB in front of it or the Vintage.

7. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    I own the Duncan Twin Tube Classic and a rackmount Bluetube (the RT-904). I like the thickness of the Twin Tube Classic but prefer the high end clarity of the Bluetube.

My curiosity/hope is that the Twin Tube Blue has a more open top end to put it somewhere between the TT Classic and Bluetube.

Everyone using the RCA clear top 12AU7 in their bluetube, as recommended on here?

8. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    I have used a NOS Amperex Bugle Boy,Beautiful 60's Mullard 12au7 and Telefunken 12ax7 and 12au7's the last tube I tried was a mid 50's RCA black plate I got into tube rolling a couple of years and I threw everything at that pedal and each sounded fantastic the best being the Bugle Boy then the RCA it was so warm I could have heated my home with it.

9. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I dig both the Duncan twin tube blue and the blue tube, but IMO, they're two completely different sounding animals.

10. andrew

andrew

May 20, 2000
    I agree. I didn't have the bluetube when I posed this question.

They both do a form of warm, tubey goodness, but beyond that they're quite different (in my experience the TT Classic and bluetube).

John, have you heard the TT Classic? I wonder how the TT Classic and TT Blues differ?

11. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    I haven't heard the SFX-03 classic other than clips online. I went with the blue TT since I read somewhere that the SFX-11 (blue TT) was a bit more transparent and had lower gain.