Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

DuncanBasslines with Bart pre

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Edwcdc, Feb 17, 2004.

1. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I have a 3 band Bartolini Preamp and was wondering if I could wire a set of active Duncan Basslines Soapbars to it. I currently have active MightyMites in the bass now. I have a bit of a missmatch happening right now with the set up. The MightyMites are way to hot and I am forced to back the trim pot almost all the way down. I am also loosing much needed high end due to this missmatch. It was once explained to me by Davidmwilson that I would need to change the blend pot to make this work properly. Does anyone know if this is the same with the Duncans? Can these p/u's be run passive also?

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Go to the Duncan site and see if they say anything about it. Some of Duncan's actives have built-in preamps too, I have a pair of active Duncan PJs like that but not running an onboard preamp with them. I'm guessing you'd be more likely to have trouble with something like that than just an active pup. Usually the manufacturer will say whether they're compatible with active electronics. But most the manufacturers design their preamp for their pups. Personally I'd go to passive pups. I've only run bart preamps to passive bart pups. And the only onboard I've got with Duncans is an OBP 1 into a hotstack and SJ2 (I think) P pup, passives. The only onboard I've got running active pups is a set of EMGs with a BTC (which they're designed for).

If those pups are active, you'll likely need at least a battery to boost the signal. I've been told the active blend is more for pups with mismatched impedence, like an active and passive, but don't know for sure and have never jacked with one.

3. Arcatus

Arcatus

Feb 8, 2004
    Oslo, Norway
    In General, Bartolini preamps sound like crap if combined with anything else than bart pickups.

4. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    Thanks guys, I think I am going to hold out and get the Bart p/u's. That was the original plan anyway. I have been waiting since November for them to come in. It's a weird size so they don't make them that often. I think I am going to get the slightly larger p/u and just make my routes larger. At least this way I can have them sooner.

5. hands5

hands5

Jan 15, 2003
    good 'ol USA/Tampa fla.
    none
    I think you may be better off to just go ahead and use the Duncan preamp with the Basslines.Now what is interesting I had a 5 string Brubaker with Bartolini Soapbars with the Seymour Duncan preamp and this bass was "Off the Hook !"