Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Duncan's RIC humbuckers.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Whafrodamus, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I'm really considering getting those Rickenbacker replacement pickups (duncan). There's always a lot of single coil buzz for me, and it always majorly picks up the "Scratch" from my finger drag. Does anyone have these? What are your opinions on them?

2. bpresource

bpresource

Jul 11, 2003
    OHIO
    i have them in an '86 ric 4003. offers a much larger sound with less hum. you do lose a slight bit of the "hollow" sound, but not so much that you can't tell it's a ric. lots more output and the tone controls seem more useful.

3. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    The Duncan replacement p-ups for the Ric are not bad. I prefer the bridge over the neck p-up, which seems to get the Ric sound that I'm looking for. The neck p-up sounds a little different to me than the originals. All in all, they're a safe replacement p-up in my mind. I'm curious to give the Barts a try at some point though.

4. i had these on my 4003...but when reverting back to the rick ones the difference was quite obvious and i preferred the rick sound...why else have a rick
    the reason i think is that i wired the s-d's in series..they have 4 cables and an earth per pup..
    had i wired them parallel perhaps the rickness of the sound would have been there
    as for hum..the rick pups never showed any sign of hum providing i kept away from my amp transformer side...and there arent any fluorescent circuits near..both caused hum...
    the s-d full width blade design also smoothed out the sound of the rick too much..
    the neck pup i think is ceramic
    if i get a rick again..i will leave the pups as they are...i believe the s-d's are the only market swap pups available..??
    as for string skiffs..you get that on any pup even if it is a humbucker...the apparent loss of it is because series windings will take the top end off your sound..thats why the single coil sound is so popular..it cuts...:cool:

5. Armchair Thief

Armchair Thief Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Houston, Texas
    Because I am a hopeless tweaker ;), I recently got the Seymour Duncan Rick bridge pickup to experiment with in my Rick.

I wired it up with a toggle switch for series/split/parallel operation. In split mode, it sounds remarkably like the stock Rick pickup, with maybe a little less bass response but with a more focussed sound. The (in)famous Rick twang is still there. Series mode fattens things up considerably, but you naturally lose a little clarity and treble response. Tons of lower-mid punch though. In parallel mode it sounds quite different: very zingy, a modern, hi-fi type of tone... it doesn't sound like a Rick at all!

Bottom line: At the risk of incurring the wrath of Rick purists ;), I have to admit I like it. The split and series mode come close enough to the classic Rick sound, so you're not losing that tone, and the parallel mode gives you something completely different to play with.

One thing I didn't like: the phenolic surround that comes with the pickup that's intended to replace the stock pickup assembly and "improve the appearance of your bass." The stock assembly is somewhat archaic and odd, but I like the classic look, so I kept it.

Again, this is all for the bridge pickup. I have no experience with the neck model.

And finally, as always, your mileage may vary. Hope this helps!

EDIT: how close the SD pickup sounds to the stock depends on *which* stock pickups came on your Rick (depending on the year.) Modern Rick pickups are overwound and have a thicker, louder sound than those made in previous decades. Mine are '92 models, which were indeed wound to about 12k ohms originally, but I had unwound them to a more vintage spec of 5.5k ohms.

6. Whafrodamus

Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    Yeah, there are some available. You can find them at the Ric page at http://www.the-music-connection.com/ric.htm