DUNE

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by WG Plum, Oct 22, 2021.

1. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Anyone seen it yet? Thankfully we have a pretty big screen in the house, I'm still not up for going to a movie theater. I have not watched it yet, but plan to today. I've read all of Herbert's original Dune books multiple times, so I am just completely stoked.

Crawforde and BBQisgood like this.
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I watched the first 45 minute or so, but kept falling asleep so I turned it off.

-Mike

Pandastylebass likes this.
  3. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Have you read the book?

JimK likes this.
  4. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I've never read a Dune book in my life, but I remember watching the original movie when I was a youngster.

-Mike

48thStreetCustom and WG Plum like this.
  5. Well, it can't possibly be worse than the earlier version, with Sting. I read most of the series years ago and high hopes for the first version, very disappointing. I will watch this version when I can, but given the depth of the books, I have a feeling that I am probably going to be disappointed.
    Fishheadjoe

DaveDeVille, JimK and Funky Ghost like this.
  6. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    You know, Lynch's film is hated by most, but I love it. It's not good, but I love it anyway.

Yonni, Jason Hollar, osv and 12 others like this.
  7. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I’ve never read the book and I’ve tried and failed to watch the original movie. From what I hear, the biggest criticisms of the new one is it’s lack of adherence to the source material, so not knowing that, maybe I’ll enjoy it more.

woodyng2 and MJ5150 like this.
  8. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I thought it was cool. I dig it too.

-Mike

BBQisgood and Low8 like this.
  9. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Haven't seen DUNC yet

Jeff Scott and pie_man_25 like this.
  10. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Interesting. What I've read is that it sticks pretty close to the book, but that it is only half of it, it is more expansive.

11. Funky Ghost

Funky Ghost Translucently Groovy

I've read the books. Even before I saw the first movie, which I liked. It was campy and had a certain "meanwhile, back at the ranch" Cliff's Notes thing going but it didn't suck imo.

I'll give the new one a go, but as is often the case with a thing you liked in your youth, newer versions have an uphill climb.

We'll see.

As an aside, I thought Starship Troopers and Ender's Game were far more egregious adaptations.

12. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I'm doing my best to not go into it comparing it to the Lynch view (I'm a devoted Lynch fan period) and trying to see it as if this were the first movie adaptation. Basically, I'm just trying to recall the book, and go from there. Some of the casting does worry me, though. I think Jason Mamoa is awesome, but as Duncan Idaho?

pie_man_25 likes this.
  13. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    Me too. I liked all world-building stuff but I just think that Timothée Chalamet kid is annoying.

pie_man_25 and MJ5150 like this.
  14. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    I have to admit it is REALLY hard seeing someone other than Kyle MacLachlan as Paul.

JimK and 48thStreetCustom like this.
  15. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I see what you did there.

pie_man_25 likes this.
  16. Lesfunk

Lesfunk Bootlegger guitars : S.I.T. Strings Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Florida USA
    I watched it the other night. I just couldn’t get into it

17. TrentB

TrentB Supporting Member

Aug 10, 2010
    Orange County, Ca
    I watched all but the final 15 minutes last night. I'll finish it tonight. I've never read any of the books or seen the original movie so I don't have anything to compare it to. I do like a good syfi movie though. I thought that the filming and the soundtrack were amazing. The story started to build after a slow start and became pretty interesting. From what I've read online i guess it ends kind of abruptly, but I'll see that tonight. It seem like this film is basically a slow build into the sequel. It is typical of Villeneuve's other films that they can be slow with excellent cinematography and soundtracks.

Nedmundo, BBQisgood and pie_man_25 like this.
  18. There were a number of things that put me off the first movie, mostly centered around the dialogue. Do you have to whisper everything in the movie? So annoying!
    Fishheadjoe

woodyng2 likes this.
  19. herrsmith

herrsmith

Apr 16, 2021
    Ender's Game was completely serious and not good, but as Starship Trooper was a Paul Verhoeven movie, it is better viewed as satire and social commentary than a faithful adaptation of the book. It was intentionally over-the-top and schlocky, like many of his films. If you're looking for a traditionally good movie, you're not getting that, but that's not what it's supposed to be.

woodyng2 and pie_man_25 like this.
  20. WG Plum

WG Plum

Apr 9, 2021
    Seattle
    Agreed about Starship Troopers, it's a satire and I love it! Never read or cared about Ender's Game and the less said about its author the better.

pie_man_25, fig and Geddyfleaharris like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021