Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Vox Populi, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Anyone else a huge fan of the Dune series by Frank Herbert? I've been a big fan ever since forever, I just dug my books out and I'm going to read them all again starting today. I was raised by my Dad on Dune and Lord of the Rings.

Everything about Dune is teh rox0rz. It's by and far the best sci-fi series ever. More than just pulp fiction, it's a series with meaning and real literary qualities. Something you don't really see anymore.

So who's with me?
  2. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I read the whole series while I was stationed in Iceland. That was before the internet. I really enjoyed it. When the movie came out, the one w/ Sting, I was so disapointed I couldn't hardly stand it. Oh well, you can't put a book that big in a 2 hr. movie, I had read the books and they left out so much stuff I could hardly keep up. The guy I went with hadn't read the books and he just left confused. No wonder it flopped. They put out another one on Sci Fi or somewhere, that one looked better, but there is so much material to cover.
    Never got through the Lord of the Rings, started the Hobbit, but the funny words got to me. Amazing I didn't have that problem w/ Dune. It may be worse.
  3. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    I guess I need to read it again. I read the first one, and wasn't really blown away by it. I was a lot younger when I read it, though.

How many books did Frank Herbert write? I know somebody else picked up later.
  4. Vox Populi

Vox Populi Reggae Loving Honkey

Jan 27, 2004
    Poulsbo, WA
    Herbert wrote six books in the Dune series, then there are a few stand-alone books that have nothing to do with Dune, that encompass many different genres.

His son, Brian Herbert, wrote some prequels to the Dune series based on his father's manuscripts. They're OK. Not at the literary level of Frank's books. But not bad for pulp fiction.
  5. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    Read the first one a few months back. First part was great! Second not so good, and took me awhile to get through (read several other books in the process of). Third awesome! I might pick up a few more in the series later on.
  6. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Tried to read it in middle school, and just didn't get it. But the concepts of his work are above that. I have read children of dune, and it was fantastic. I couldn't put it down. I need to read the original dune again.
  7. dharma

dharma Srubby wubbly

Oct 14, 2005
    Monroe, Louisiana
    Fear is the mindkiller, Vox Populi. It is the little death. I will not be afraid, I will let my fear wash through me and when it is gone only I will remain.

8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I got into Dune when I was 17, and have been hooked ever since.

I have read the original 6 novels at least 10 times.

I agree about the prequels not being up to FH standards, but they are decent enough fare. I am on my second reading of them right now, and once I am done, it will be time to reread the originals.:cool:

I love Dune, God Emperor of Dune, and Chapterhouse: Dune. Heretics of Dune and Children of Dune are OK. Dune Messiah is the weakest of the lot, but necessary to keep the storylines intact.

I love LOTR, too.
  9. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    [Sci-fi nerd on]

Too much of my life has been spent reading and re-reading that series. Herbert's universe was vast, yet interwined web that modeled the problems he noticed in the real society of his time (and especially now). Spice (oil) drove the galaxy, the spice must flow. Also, none of the major groups had as much power as they thought they did and all the groups were reliant on one another before Paul became the Kwisatz Haderach. Then it was shown though the sequels that a single man (in control of about 4 million Fremen) could control the spice, the Guild, the Bene Gesserits, the Sardukar, etc, i.e. the whole sha-bang.

What's not to like?

I know Embellisher mentioned something about a sequel to Chapterhouse and think that would be great to explain better who exactly comprised the Horde coming from the outskirts of the uncharted areas/overmind planets. I know that rogue Sisters were part of that group and that they had no fold-space technology, hence the extremely long time till their arrival (10000ish years if I remember the timeline correctly).

I thought the Brian prequels were about as good as they could have been. He took his father's notes and modeled from those, but he just doesn't have Frank's style down exactly. Still I enjoyed learning what started and ended the Butlerian Jihad, what happened to Old Earth, and what drove the post between Atreides and Harkonen at the Bridge of Hrethgir.

[Sci-fi Nerd off.]

I also dig the series work of L.E. Modesitt, Terry Goodkind, and George R.R. Martin. None are as profound as the Dune series, but nothing even approaches that series honestly and truely.
  10. Pruitt

Jun 30, 2005
    Danbury, CT
    I first read Dune in 1976 when I was a sophmore in High School. I've read the entire series it at least 6-7 since. The last time being a couple of years ago. I've also read all the "prequel" books his Frank herbert's son wrote also.

The Dune series is without a doubt my favorite Sci-Fi series of all times, and I've read thousands of scifi series and books over the years. I guess I'm just a fan of Herbert's writing style, as I've thoroughly enoyed all his other books also.

Damn, now I have the urge to re-read them all again. How am I supposed to have time to play my bass if I'm reading all these books again!!! :bag:

On another note, while the DeLaurentus movie was abysmal imho, the SciFi Channel Version was pretty good imo. Especially the Director Cut version. The Children of Dune mini-series was also pretty good (first part encompasses Dune Messiah, 2nd part Children of Dune). They're not as good as the books, but what movie ever is? But even so, they tell the basic story fairly well. :)
  11. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Never read the books, but I'm of the opinion that anything David Lynch works on is golden.
  12. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I sure hope the Sci Fi channel runs it again, It looked much better than the movie I already commented on, and I MISSED IT.:(
  13. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    You can buy dune 2000 on DVD.
  14. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Where, Amazon?
  15. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    My current sig line comes from Dune :)

Almost done with Chapterhouse: Dune. I've read the first one repeatedly, and always got bogged down on the second. This last time I started reading them I decided to forge on through, and glad I did.

Can't wait to read the prequels, even though I know they're not going to be as deep as the original.

I saw the DeLaurentis film when I was way too young to try and read the books, and I liked it then. I still do now, just because the visual impact and soundtrack are great, even if the plot is severely lacking. I liked the style elements in the old film much more than the Sci-Fi channel redux, although overall the Sci-Fi version is better.
  16. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    That's what ruins it, if you've read the books, you notice everything they skip. I had talked it up so much to my friend I went with, that he just came out confused.
  17. WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Yeah, these days, if I know a movie's coming out before I've read the book, I'll hold off on the book until I've seen the movie. That way I enjoy the story twice. Otherwise, I just get annoyed at the movie.