Dunlop 105Q and CBM105Q users: tell me about the bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cardinal, Aug 9, 2019.

1. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Hi all,

So I realize that "tone suck" is a bit subjective, but can you guys just let me know you're experiences with this pedal, which version you used (mini, pots-on-the-side, or pots-on-the-bottom), and whether or not there was another buffer down stream when you used it?

For anyone still reading:
    I've read varying reviews of whether the 105q bypass really stinks or not, so I'm trying to just get a sense of the current thinking on this, particularly since there are at least three versions of the pedal now (full-sized with the mini-pots on the bottom, full-sized with the mini-pots on the side, and mini). Plus I wonder if it depends on whether there's another buffer down stream of the 105q.

With guitars, I've used vintage Crybabies and the tone suck was real and awful, and a down-stream buffer does not help. Those just have to be modded to true bypass otherwise they are unusable to me. I want to avoid the 105q if it's going to be the same deal, but it's specs on paper look pretty sweet.

Thanks!

2. Robertron

Robertron

Feb 12, 2010
    NewYork, NY
    I used to have one with the pots on the side. It did suck.

mcnach and cardinal like this.
  3. I'm mixed on if the 105q sucks tone. Maybe the (normal sized) 105q has tone suck (which I have). Maybe the crybaby bass wah mini's (I currently use) bypass is different than the 105q . I find that the the bass mini effects my tone positively compared to my tone with 5 true bypass pedals.

cardinal likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks! Some buffers actually do improve things, so I'm not automatically against anything with a buffered bypass. Just the ones that suck! Maybe I'll start with the mini if it sounds good!

5. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    What is the effect that's positive for you? Does it make things sound brighter and snappier? Does it make things smoother and darker?

6. I guess brighter or doesn't change the tone much. I don't always have my bass wah minji on my board. When I do, my ampeg scrdi is always on at the end of my chain.

cardinal likes this.
  7. vinnydbass

vinnydbass

Feb 4, 2008
    Toronto
    Ive used one for years without noticing tone suck. Ive ditched pedals for that, but the crybaby doesnt bother me. I had the pots on the side. I dont use it too often, but i usually place it before my compressor or after a fuzz. I dont notice any loss in bottom end.

cardinal likes this.
  8. I use the Mini. No tone suck. If it does something, it might ad some clarity in my long effect chain. Honestly no issue here. I’ve removed pedals from the pedalboard due to tone sucking in the past... the bass cry baby mini won’t be one of those.

cardinal likes this.
  9. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Awesome. Some mixed views on the full-sized but so far so good with the mini.

10. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Not sure whether this would help at all or not, but I have a full size one without any pots and it activates with a foot switch instead of motion. Maybe it's a very early one I don't know.

Either way I notice very little to no tone difference with it in or out of my chain. The only thing that isn't nice is the slight volume loss when I use it.

If interested, I'll take some photos.

11. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Is that the GCB-100? It's in a black housing with a toe-switch. That's a very different circuit from the 105q.

Do you like it other than the volume drop?

12. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    It's in a white enclosure, and the last I checked it said 105Q. I'll double check when I get home, here's an old picture.

Love the sound of it and the range. The volume drop is no deal breaker by any means.
    IMG_20160617_152318678.jpg

13. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    That's very cool. I'd love to have a 105Q with a normal toe switch. I don't like the switchless things.

Novarocker likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    If you don't mind: could you take the back off and take a picture of the circuit for me? I'm curious how they wired the switch and if I could just mod one to be like yours.

Thanks!

15. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Sure things, hopefully will have time tonight.

cardinal likes this.
  16. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Yeah having the toe switch is the reason I deal with the volume drop, although I've been intending to mod it with a volume knob or something of the like. I love using cocked wah tones.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
    cardinal likes this.
  17. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I only have the Geezer Crybaby (Dunlop made) but I never noticed any tone suck whatsoever.

Unemploid and cardinal like this.
  18. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Awesome! I'd be interested in that Geezer wah too. The 105Q seems more "standard issue" which is why I'm mostly looking into that one, but the Geezer seems like it also would be great.

JimmyM likes this.
  19. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    I like the Geezer better because it's more of a midrange type of wah than an envelope filter with a pedal. Almost got one of the mini Crybabies but that duck quack thing ain't my thing.

cardinal likes this.
  20. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Yeah, I like the sound of a normal guitar Cry Baby with a bass, I just don't like the volume drop and it does sound thin. The Geezer seems cool because it would have that voicing and would have a fat, dry signal with the heel down. But the lack of a boost makes me nervous about if anyone could hear it.

JimmyM likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021