Dunlop 105Q and CBM105Q users: tell me about the bypass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by cardinal, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Turns out it's not a 105, but a 95 maybe...my bad. GCB95 is what's on the bottom plate, but it gets more odd...

I picked this up used from a GC in 2013 and have not opened it up before. I will open it as soon as I can, busy with the family and whatnot lately. What makes it odd is that the white GCB-95 were a limited run in 1999, but if you look at the bottom plate, it may be from more than 10 years later. Or it's just a replacement plate. I'm going to give Dunlop a call when I get a chance to inquire further. I believe I have a recording of it being used as well.

IMG_20190814_042740208.jpg

cardinal likes this.
  2. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks! That is interesting. If it sounds good, it is good, though!

Pouring over all the specs for the various Dunlop wahs, I might actually buy the Petrucci wah to give it a shot. It looks like they essentially put their Rack Wah into a pedal. The heel down frequency is pretty low (200-240 Hz) plus it can boost the 100 Hz and 200 Hz frequencies by up to 18 db and there's a volume control for the wah's overall output. Not a clean blend type thing like the Geezer or 105Q but it might hold the lower frequencies all the same, plus offer true bypass and an actual switch.

Novarocker likes this.
  3. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I have owned two of the full size 105Q's: the first one I bought about 2006-2007(?) and only used for about 3 years and it quit working, that one seemed to have a bit of suck and the off-switch at the heel was way sensitive, and I also remember the sweep pot needing to be adjusted several times.
    So I bought another one in 2010 and still use it to this day and it was totally different, no suck at all and never an issue with the sensitivity of the off switch. It has the mini knobs on the side, and I thought the first one did too. But I know the circut boards are different color, I think the first one was red and the second one green.

cardinal likes this.
  4. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Thanks! From looking at pictures, there seem to be at least two versions of the "knobs-on-the-side" full-sized 105Q, and they have obviously different circuits around the switch, which could explain why one seemed touchier than the other and maybe they had different buffers.

5. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    You got me wondering so I dug out my old 105Q...
    The old one says Rev. C and has the green board, while the later one has Rev. H and the red board. Yes both have knobs on the side.

Attached Files:

cardinal likes this.
  6. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    So mine is a GCB-95, but from 2007. Or at least that's when the board was stamped. I certainly plan on doing a vol. Mod on mine at some point. It seems to blend the clean well, or at least retain a lot of it. Here's the guts. Also here's a link to a song I used it on. Intro is a single track on the recording, no dubs or multitracks.

IMG_20190814_212548240.jpg IMG_20190814_212551331.jpg

cardinal likes this.
  7. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Sounds killer! Nice playing.

I was tinkering yesterday more with some old Cry Babies that I use with guitars, and I think they really sound nice with the bass. The bass frequencies are totally fine. The only problem IMHO is the volume drop. But I typically use my basses in passive mode, and I found that if I switch to active and boost in the signal when I step on the wah, I can keep the levels about right. It's a bit annoying because if I'm doing that in the middle of a song, I have to take my right hand away from the strings to flip to active (or to passive) while also stepping on the wah, but it definitely works.

Novarocker likes this.
  8. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    I have an older 105q, the big white one. I've never really noticed any tone suck. But then, I have buffers and boost going on my chain. So even if there was tone suck out of mine, it’s pretty much voided/fixed by another buffer or some boost or EQ. But even when I plug it straight from the bass to the amp with just the wah in the middle, I never noticed what I consider “tone suck”. I’ve heard some say it was so bad for them they couldn’t use it. That blows for them, cause I love the 105q. I’ve been using for years and it’s always been easy to use and sounds great. Never got lost in a mix when I use and the Q control is great too. Have control over the volume, Q and engagement point of the initial sweep is all you could ask in a bass wah. So I’ve been extremely content to happy with the 105q since I got it.

mikeswals, Novarocker and cardinal like this.
  9. Novarocker

Novarocker

Oct 12, 2015
    Detroit
    Thanks! That was one of my first legit recording experiences. I've always liked the prominent range the pedal pushes.

I believe there's a simple 1 resistor swap that you can make to increase the volume that or even put in a pot.

cardinal likes this.
  10. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Just picked one up that says Rev E with a red board. I didn't notice any poor bypass tone and the wah sounds killer. Been playing Calm Like a Bomb over and over. I do have a quality buffer down stream from the wah, which may help if there is any loss from the bypassed wah.

EDIT: I went back and forth with it verses straight in with a shorter cable. To my ear, definitely is not sucking top end. If anything, it was a little brighter and maybe not quite as deep, but I was going back and forth several times trying to hear the difference and decided I was being silly because it sounds fine bypassed either way.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2019
  11. I'd get the geezer wah if they make a mini version.
    IMG_20190617_134118_701.jpg

12. My wah change the tone a little. I plug it to my Boss Ms3 and set it with and on and off switch. I just turn it off when i dont need it. You can notice the difference when is on to when is off.

13. I have a 105Q from 1998. It's got pots on the bottom, big components etc.
    Apparently these pedals suck tone, but I've struggled to tell after placing it in a true bypass strip and A/B'ing between the two.
    I use big tube amps with big vintage voicing. Any suck present is so small I wouldn't call it something worth bothering with.

If I was playing a guitar however, with all the treble content being much more important, this would be a totally different argument.

Unemploid likes this.
  14. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    This is a great point. I always assume everyone's like me and playing an old SVT/810 which is far from true. My rig probably has no high end to get sucked out by a pedal anyway.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  15. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Just bought one - 105q bass wah. Superstisous.

16. cardinal

cardinal

Jan 13, 2016
    Hope you like it!

I've been liking mine and haven't paid a second thought to the bypass.

That said, there's a new Ibanez WH10 out now, and it's bass range looks pretty good on paper and it has a true bypass switch, so I'm pretty interested in trying one out. I like the 105q well enough, but it doesn't quite scream the way I'm use to with more guitar-based wah pedals.

Novarocker likes this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    Well, thats my opinion but that is why i like 105q most, that it doesn't scream so much, it is better for the bass and it is for the bass.

18. I had the 105Q... and yes, it did suck a LOT. Sounded ok but it destroyed the signal.

I eventually settled with a G-Labs Wo Wee Wah. I love that thing.

19. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Aug 3, 2021