1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DUNLOP 105Q CRY BABY BASS WAH - Flea uses it??

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jjl5590, Sep 14, 2008.

1. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    http://www.basscentre.com/product.asp?pID=373&cID=17

on that link it says thats the wah wah pedal flea uses? i find that hard to believe because its not that expensive, and I would have thought someone as big as flea would use much more expensive stuff!

any thoughts? good pedal?

cheers guys

2. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    Well, Flea is anything but a gear head. That being said, the 105Q is a pretty unique bass wah, and anyone looking for a very funky sweep, switchless activation, and unaffected lows doesn't have a lot of choices outside of the 105Q.

3. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    looks like my kinda pedal! i think im gonna buy one...

4. flea also uses the odb-3 doesnt he :scowl:

5. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
    i have no idea even what that is lol. its jus dat that wah wah pedal in the description says flea uses it

6. If you look at a lot of pro musicians' boards you'll find quite a few that use common, easily replaceable and fairly inexpensive pedals.

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Yes, it's part of his live rig. However, to my knowledge the only song he's recorded with it is "Coffee Shop" off of One Hot Minute. That said, I think it's a great wah, especially for funky stuff.

Yes, but again only as part of his live rig. I don't think he's ever used it in the studio. His live distortion tone is awful IMO. As Smurf-o-Deth pointed out, Flea is not a guy who is meticulous about his tone. I really think he uses whatever is in the studio or the producer provides for him. He's certainly used a bunch of different envelope filters and rarely seems to even remember which ones when asked about it later.

Going back to the OPs question, the reality is that there are plenty of inexpensive pedals that get the job done. Electro Harmonix, MXR, Boss and others make plenty of pedals that get the desired effect players want. I'm as guilty of this as anyone else, but the small differences we hear between decent, easily available gear and high quality boutique pedals is largely lost on an audience.

But I think a larger part of why a lot of pros use gear that we might look down our noses at here at TB FX has less to do with being easily replaceable and more to do with the fact that they were young guys who got signed while using certain pedals and just stuck with them, not having the luxury of time to play with new effects like the majority of us do.

8. yeah i know. what i meant was what you said. i dont think he does really care about or is very choosy about his gear. maybe he is, but his live tone with that odb is sad really.

9. jjl5590

jjl5590 Banned

Mar 28, 2008
    London, UK
  10. Guest043

Guest043 Guest

Apr 8, 2008
    yeah..but it works for him..not for me..he can afford nice stuff..i cant..i use nice stuff..he doesent..

what a twisted world we live in.

11. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    I do believe he said he wouldn't play his wal too much because it was not cool looking. :D

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    OlyWA...
  13. lol yeah true!

14. Only way to know is to go try 'em. You may find you like neither! :eek:

I love my 105Q - use it for heavy rock/stoner rock solo parts.

BTW - It will work fine with active basses, as long as you don't mind keeping the input voltage below a certain level (don't max out your bass EQ!) ==>Otherwise it'll give a bit of an undesirable quacking distortion. But I use pretty hot basses.....

15. Chris Paget

Chris Paget

Sep 1, 2008
    Has anyone found that the Dunlop really increases the output, especially the highs, which become really squelchy?

16. Increased Output?
    Can do - but there is a volume knob to adjust this. I have mine set just above unity gain, around 7/10 from memory, so any "wah solo" has a nice little boost.

As for treble - I find this depends how you set the "Q".
    Set at max, it does seem to boost the highs just a touch, but this is kinda the whole envelope filter effect coming into play. Any wah is gonna have a peak in there somewhere, unless you follow it with a compressor IME.

17. I love how mine sounds. I can get a really nice synthy envelope filter effect out of it with the El Grande in front and a BDI21 behind. I'd prefer it to be more metal, but it's okay as-is.

18. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    I dont see why flea wouldnt use the 105Q? Im a fan of Flea but I seriously doubt he's a gear junkie and would own or even know about any boutique type pedals... and on top of that... what wah would he use? theyre all around the same price range.

19. To those slagging his live distortion sound: what if he LIKES the sound he gets from it?
    Also, it makes sense for such a huge band that moves a lot to be able to go to a music store, say "I need that", and be back to a show in no time.