1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Dunlop 105q or Morley Dual Bass Wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Flea666, Apr 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    what bass wha is better?

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I'm wondering that myself, but for the most part, i've heard the 105Q is better. When I buy my wah, i'm most likely getting the 105Q.

Tim.com from RATM and Audioslave uses 2 105Qs.

3. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    There are two different distinct bass wah sounds that you generally hear- that is the Morley and the Dunlop sounds. The newer Morley wah just doesn't cut it for the Morley Wah sound though, so if you are buying new I'd go with the Dunlop. If you want to hear the Morley sound, it is best to go with one of their older pedals. A good example is to listen to Pulling Teeth by Cliff Burton.

Personally, I favor the older Morley sounds- it cuts much better and generally has a harsher sound than the Dunlop. I wouldn't trade my PWB for all the Dunlop pedals in the world.

Ted

4. I like my dunlop

5. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I like the Dunlop better.

6. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process...

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I love my Dunlop. It takes some time to dial in, but it's time well spent.

7. EricTheEZ1

EricTheEZ1

Nov 23, 2004
    Clawson, MI
    The Morley has a better funk tone. Very bubbly and warbly. Unfortunately, it is spring loaded and will always be rocked completely back if you let it go. Sometimes I like to just leave it a bit on for the effect. The 105Q is much more versatile.

BTW, only the first 25% of the rocking motion is useable on the Morley. The last 75% of rocking sounds like the envelope is completely open. Very touchy.

-Eric.

8. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    So i sould get the crybaby 105q

9. thejohnkim

thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    NYC
    just to clarify, the dunlop 105q's are also spring loaded

10. Flea666

Flea666

Apr 21, 2005
    Lichfield, UK
    Ive tried the Dunlop 105q, i liked it alot.

11. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    Actually, that's not always the case. If he avoids the new Morley Bass Wah and get a Tel-Ray made one, those aren't spring loaded. Most models also double as volume pedals There is no spring, so when you kick the wah off, it automatically goes into volume mode so the pedal should be toe down.

Again, I would avoid the new Morley Bass Wah- the tone doesn't sound nearly as good as it's predecessors.

Oh, and regarding the sweep- it is completely usable on the older morleys. I can even grap a bit of feedback from my low impedence EMG's. The sweep effect all registers- from low C to high G.

Also, they are built like tanks

The downfall of these?

1) There is no bypass. As I mentioned earlier, when you kick the wah off, it is a volume pedal so you better be in eoe down position if you don't want to lose volume. This is reciified using either a Loooper or installing a bypass switch.

2) These are AC operated only. I don't see this as a disadvantage, but some do. I look at it as a free AC adapter

3) The Tel-Rays are a discontinued pedal. They can be had for around $100.00 though.

Ted

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.