1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop bass strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Crystalman85, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Has anyone ever tried these strings? nickle-plated or stainless steel.

I'm just asking out of curiosity.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I've recently been using the Dunlop stainless steel strings on my Nordy vJ5. They have a great clear and punchy tone. I'm a long time user of DR strings, mostly hi beams and fat beams. However, the Dunlop strings really speak to me on this particular bass. The DR strings seem to produce a lot of overtones, where as the Dunlop strings I feel like I can hear the actual note more clearly, and with more depth and punch. There are lot of hi beam fans here, so I'll probably get some back lash for saying that. But again, I've been using DR strings for about a decade, having just recently started using the Dunlop strings. So far the Dunlops just sound better to me right now.

3. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I often use them, great string.

4. TRBman

TRBman

Jul 9, 2006
    Paris, France
    Thanks to Crystalman to have brung here some inquiries about Dunlop strings,that i needed to know for myself,

and to Tony who shown to us personal clearences about these new strings after a long time of good usefully DR strings.

As i like modern tones with wide high and low frenqencies,(and only nickel strings user),it certainly will fit for my ears (and perhaps for my fingers?)

5. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    Okay cool. I can tell from your postings and perspective that dunlop make pretty good bass strings. thanks for the low down, guys.:)

6. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I do like them a lot right now. Considering their very reasonable price, they are definitely worth giving a shot.

7. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    They also have damn' nice tension, IMO, tight, but not too much, the nickel plated steels are my fave, bright and agressive, but not too much.

8. the nickel plated steels are great strings. i've got them on my g&l l-2000. as mentioned above, the notes are very clear. there are distinct differences between the low e, f, f#, and g. it seems elementary, but you'd surprised how many strings don't offer that kind of clarity.

lots of bottom. nice snarly top. plenty of mid push. $23 at guitar center...

kirillio likes this.
  9. Anyone know if the Dunlops will fit a 35" scale bass? Do they have silk on the ends?

bottomzone likes this.
  10. no silk. i think you've got plenty of winding length available for a 35" scale bass. in fact, last night while i was playing my G&L, i kept wondering what the strings would sound like on the Modulus Quantum 4 i sold earlier this year. talk about rock and roll...

11. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Fantastic description, really well explained.

No silks, and I have had them top loaded on a 35" Traben without trouble.:cool:

12. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    I got a few sets for free at BassPlayer live and just put a set of the nickle-plated stainless on my lakland 4-94. They feel very nice, sound good - but they don't have as much tension as the strings that were on it (I'm not sure what they were - but the neck now needs a bit of relief). The real acid test will be how long they last - that's where DR really shines.

13. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    They are $19.99 a set at my GC, $5 less than any other string. I put a set on my '51 Reissue P Bass, and like them so far. Remind me of Slinkys, and if they last a while, we may have a winner.

14. jshilgebass

jshilgebass Supporting Member

Jun 24, 2006
    El Cajon, CA
    Dunlop strings will fit on a 35" scale bass. Heck, I even have them strung through-body on such a bass...one of my Lakland Skyline 55-01s. These are the stainless steel ones; I'm assuming the nickel wound sets are the same length.

Joe Hilgeman

bottomzone likes this.
  15. Cool. Thanks!

16. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    How do the Dunlop nickel plated steels compare to D'addairo XL
    nickel plated steels?

17. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I much prefer the Dunlops, not harshly clangy like the Daddarios, and last much longer too.

Tension seems a little higher.

18. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Are the Dunlop's long enough for a 35" scale bass?

19. Fullmetal

Fullmetal

Oct 18, 2008
    United kingdom
    I use the Rob Trujillo signature strings on a 35'' and they fit perfectly. It has been confirmed by several other users above. These are so far the best strings I've ever had and they are incredibly long lasting. Will definantly use again.

20. AusBass1

AusBass1

Feb 27, 2012
    I know this is a very old thread, though I saw this post and thought I'd add a perspective.

I personally haven't used Dunlops in recent years, I've been hearing only wonderful things. I tried a set back 10 years ago which I didn't enjoy very much, as they were dead out of the box. Can't really blame Dunlop for this though, as that set may have been sitting on the shelf for a very long time.

As for the overtones you mention about DR, I agree.. though what you described is very consistent with their Hi Beam and very bright stainless sets. The DR Nickels on the other hand, have a much more defined 'note'.. They are hands down some of the best feeling/sounding Nickels I've used (With the Exception of Fodera also.. beautiful strings). The Nickel Lo-Riders I'm using at the moment are so consistent in their brightness from string to string.. right down to the B, and have plenty of tension, being hex-core which I feel is extremely important when it comes to output and tone. (Think about how much importance is placed on scale length of basses vs. bass tone, and you will see why this is such an important point).

Having said that, I love the flexible feeling of Round-core strings too.

I may have to give a Nickel set of Dunlops a try though ;)

John