1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop bass wah scratchy pot

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Kristopher, Jan 3, 2007.

1. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I just got a Dunlop (EDIT: oops, not a Morley) bass wah from eBay today, so I plug it in and I get some crackle when rocking back in forth. It always happens in the same particular place. Is the fix as simple as buying some of that pot cleaner spray stuff and spraying it on there? If so, where do I spray it exactly? I took the back off the pedal and I have a great view of the pot itself.

2. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    I think I answered my own question, whoops. My impatience for an answer clouded my posting judgement. :)

3. Yeah, that contact cleaner spray works wonders! Try it before you do anything else.

4. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Well, I went out and purchased the contact cleaner from Radio Shack, and after a few sprays at the pot and some more internet reading, I've discovered the Dunlop pot is of the "closed" design so my cleaner isn't actually getting inside the pot to do its cleaning. I'm not sure what to do now besides either try to return the thing (and possibly make the guy mad and get my first negative eBay feedback) or buy a new pot somewhere. Hmm.

5. See if you can pick up a new pot for it. Pots are usually only a couple bucks and with a little soldering it could be good as new!

6. Kristopher

Kristopher

Mar 13, 2005
    Tempe, AZ
    Thanks for helping, it looks like that's what I need to do. The
    Dunlop site says since the pot is closed, it doesn't need to be cleaned, it's just scratchy from wear and needs to be replaced. The replacements cost $20-$25 + shipping at various places on the web. Looks like I put a little more money into it!