1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Cry-baby Bass wah GBC-100

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by rodl2005, Mar 13, 2008.

1. I got a line on one- anyone know what these are like compared to the modern white ones?

2. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Awful, IME.

I tried a used one once - it had a significant volume drop and limited wah sweep range (not physically - just sound-wise).

The new white ones (105Q) are superior in every way, although we all argue about the quality of the bypass and the "switchlessness" of the 105Q. :D

3. Oh man- volume drop- I HATE that in Pedals! IME makes 'em almost totally unuseable for gigs!- Thanx.

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I agree with MysticBoo. The white Bass Crybaby (105Q) is superior.

5. I've never tried the white one, but I have the original dunlop crybaby bass wah (not sure of the model #) and it's horrendous on bass. I have a Morley Dual Bass Wah now and it's 100 times better.

6. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Yep, that'd be the GCB-100. :D

7. badsushi33

badsushi33

Mar 30, 2008
    I just bought a 105Q (the white one) and I'm getting distortion from the lower end. Using an active Musicman Sterling if that helps. Any suggestions?

8. You can tweak the sweep range a little bit.
    Lay the peadal upside down on a table.

Take off the back panel and slide over the little plastic treadle holder.

pull the treadle away from the pot.

turn the pot full treable side

puch the pedal down and replace treadle and plastic holder

reassemble

Boom - more treble sweep

sub-commandante likes this.
  9. Kano2864212

Kano2864212 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield, MA
    ive had one for a while and i think a true bypass mod would help to make the entire pedal better but other than that i like it

10. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I haven't noticed much tone-degradation at all with the 105Q, to be quite honest...

11. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    Goad likes this.
  12. Yup. I think I included the GBC-100 in a shootout thread I wrote a few months ago... Actually, the GBC-100 sounds pretty good with an overdrive in front of it, but other than that, it's not really worth bothering with even at a cheap price. There are just to many good options out there now. Whenever someone has questions about "which wah" I always point them to the Wilson effects bass wahs. Mine is head and shoulders above every other wah I have played.

13. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    Zombie thread revival, as per my avatar....

This is exactly what I am going to do!! I hope he still does this as I've sent him an email as of this moment.

14. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    If he doesn't give me a shout. I believe I have two, and have been using the G labs for a while.

15. Goad

Goad Grunt for Life

Jun 22, 2015
    Houston
    well, the shop doesn't do it anymore and he advised me to get the white one.