Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Dunlop Crybaby 105q losing bass

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by carl-anton, Mar 18, 2004.

1. I've got a Crybaby 105q, and I think it's starting to sound whimpy in the lower frequencies, especially when I'm using it with my new EBS Multidrive (EBS after wah). I thought the 105q bass wah was supposed to keep low-end!? I have to say I've had the wah for 3 years, and I've not noticed the problem before I got my EBS overdrive. I'm suspecting that the EBS compresses the sound somewhat, and if the wah sucks a little lo-end, the difference between o.d. without wah and with wah, is going to be bigger. Or is losing lo-end a sign of an aging wah-pedal?

Any thoughts? :meh:

My settings are normally q=5-6 and vol=7 on the wah, and drive and vol at 1 o'clock on the EBS (switch on "tube-sim").

Thanks

2. From their website:

"The Crybaby Bass Wah applies the wah effect to the mids and highs only, leaving a strong fundamental to hold down the bottom. So you can take solos or throw in fills without ever disturbing your low end"

I suggest you take the wah completely out of your effects path, plug your bass into it, and from it to your amp, and see if it does what it's supposed to do.

As far as 'aging' is concerned...vintage wahs are sought after by the best players. Maybe check your battery, or if you're mounted to a board with patch cables, just run the wah with battery power only and see if the problem is still there.

Most people say to put the wah first in the chain, before the overdrive, but sometimes I like to switch it around.

3. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    A quick question:

If I used my bass with a guitar wah pedal, would that ruin the sound, or would it work the same as a bass wah???

Thanks in advance. :)

4. Judging by Dunlop's quote above that only the mids and highs are affected on the Bass Wah, I'd assume that a guitar wah would affect the entire frequency spectrum.

I liked the 105Q because it's spring-loaded and you can start at the low end and rock up, as opposed to the traditional wahs that have a button that you have to step your toe down to activate...immediately having the highest freqency of the wah coming through.

For 'Burton-esque' tones, he used a Morley wah for most of his stuff, and I'm pretty sure it was just the guitar version.

5. BassGod

BassGod

Jan 21, 2004
    Okay, thank you... actually, I was looking for that Cliff Burton type of thing, but keeping the low end sounds good. hmm... I'm not sure what I want...:)

Thanks!

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Cliff used a chrome Power Wah Boost by Morley. They come up every once in a while on eBay for about $100-150 but are well worth it.