Dunlop CryBaby Bass Wah Mini: My review

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Tricaptain, Oct 23, 2019.

1. Tricaptain

Tricaptain

Sep 21, 2011
    Right Hear (...it's a pun. Use your ears!). ;D
    I'm just a user/customer that plays gigs. I am not professionally affiliated with any vendor, etc.
    Say, you guys! I've had this Dunlop Crybaby Bass Wah Mini for some time now; thought I'd give a quick review of it.

TLDR: It's a great option for any sized pedalboard. Sound is powerful enough to be heard in a mix, doesn't lose low end, and has good 'tweakability'.

Long(er) version: I got this wah some years back as an alternative to my 70s Morley Tel-Ray Power Wah Boost (for me, the Morley is THE WAH PEDAL... PERIOD.). I *knew* that I was not going to get the same sound as the Morley... I knew that right away. My reason for getting it was to have an audible wah option that has a smaller footprint.

Thankfully, the sound that I *could* get from this CryBaby Bass Wah Mini is REALLY cool. It can do 'subtle', and while it can't do 'Cliff Burton' wild, it can definitely give you some scream. Of course, even more so when coupled with other effects, like drive, filters, etc. There are 2 knobs; one for Volume, the other for 'Q'. If you open of the pedal (unscrew the bottom), there's also an option to adjust the 'delay' that occurs when engaging/disengaging the wah. It's a switchless wah (another 'main' reason why I chose this wah), so engaging simply means stepping on it... disengaging simply means letting the pedal spring back to its heel position.

Despite the pedal being small, the 'sweep' is actually pretty generous. Again, not 'Morley Tel-Ray' generous, but the many gigs I've used this mini wah pedal for have not suffered. Great tool to have in the arsenal.

OH! ...and the low end of my bass sound stays intact! I can't help but wonder if it has some sort of high-pass filter in the circuit somewhere (please read my disclaimer below...). I almost forgot to include that...

I wish I still had the larger Crybaby Bass Wah (I had it back in the 90s) to compare side-by-side, but I have to tell ya... from what I remembered of the original, I like 'this' one (the mini) a bit better. The volume knob lets this wah pedal get LOUD - you actually need to be careful not to 'dime' it at first. Start 'midway', and go from there. I think that the sound is similar to the larger counterpart, but (for me) the bigger point was volume. Having the extra volume on tap also helps enable creativity when pushing anything after the wah (effects, the amp, etc).

Hope this helps anyone who's not yet given this pedal a go and is thinking about it... lots of great gear out there. Hopefully, you have an opportunity to give it a go!

Disclaimer: I'm a multi-instrumentalist, but PRIMARILY a bassist. Started in the very early 90s, I like (and play) multiple genres. Active cover band musician with some vocal ability. You mileage WILL always vary - speaking solely from my personal experiences. I'm NOT an electronics wiz, by ANY stretch - I'm just a player/user! However, I'm also not afraid to 'look under the hood' and experiment. Conversation is ENCOURAGED! Please share thoughts/ideas, and please correct me on anything I may be erroneous on. Most of all, be excellent to each other, and HAVE FUN! Cheers, you guys!

2. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Hey Capt'n!! I just sold my Dunlop 105Q bass wah for the mini wah, thanks for your info, it was great!
    I bought the Mini bass wah solely for its smaller footprint on my board, I used its big bro for about a year and a half and absolutely loved it. I also could get some cliff tones with it (it had an OD->wah->fuzz) which felt great since that meant that I didn't have to waste too much space on my board with a Morley. If they had something just as small as the mini wah, I'd definitely buy it, but as of now, the mini wah is it. I'll receive it later this week and I'll let you know my thoughts on if there are any major differences with its big bro, have a great day!

superheavyfunk likes this.
  3. crguti

crguti

Feb 14, 2011
    Scandinavia
    Did you check the bypass? I had, and the tone sucking was bad enough that I no longer have it in my pedalboard.

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  4. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    I never found that too be an issue with my 105q and if there was it was too minimal for to even care, I also have a preamp pedal and comp going before hand, im not sure if that helped. Ill ley yall know theres any major tone suck when i get the mini, i get it Thursday.

5. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Website and Social Media at Sadowsky
    Have you compared it to any envelope filters? I'm wondering if moving to a bass wah might give me more control than my envelope/auto-wahs.

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  6. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    I have and well, the Dunlop bass wahs have basically the same effect as an envelope filter, but it's not exactly a standard wah sound. You do get that wah-wah sound tho, my question to you is in what musical context are you going to use these effects? The cool thing about let's say the MXR Bass Env is that its touch sensitivity is really nice so you wouldn’t have to worry about rocking your wah on beat all that much.
    I say they're both great pedals but I'd look at more demos on youtube to see which one would fit your style best. The bass wah fits best for me and my playing and I quite enjoy it.
    You do have more control with most envelope filter pedals and the bass wah only has 2 knobs (Q and Vol) I like the least about of knobs on my pedals so that's what I went with as well.
    Hope this helps!

P.S. here's some videos I like

7. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Great rundown. Thank you! I have the source audio envelope and it’s great but finicky to adjust. Lately I’ve been wondering if an actual wah would simplify everything and make it easier for me. I have a feeling that I’d just need to try one out it person.

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  8. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Definitely, I will say, it took me a while to fully get used to a wah as a bass player, it definitely feels easier on a guitar, but that might just be me. But if you want something simple the wah is the way to go.

9. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Love the videos. Gonna keep an eye out for one. Looks like the one I was looking at in the classifieds sold.

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  10. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    I wonder… how do you all use wah on the bass? Other than playing Bootsy Collins riffs or doing some Cliff Burton style stuff, I mean.

Does anyone use a wah in an interesting way? I’d love to hear some examples!

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  11. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Xavier Isaac and superheavyfunk like this.
  12. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Xavier Isaac likes this.
  13. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Hell yeah , I bought mine on reverb for cheap too, I've never tried buying things here tho, no yet anyways.

14. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Sorry for the shameless plug but my band just released an album on all platforms, It's called "Rotting King" and we're called Rotting King . I mainly use my wah on our instrumental track (The Calm before the Storm) to keep the riffs different and I use it as a riser SFX as well. I also use it live for my solo. Hope you find that interesting.

I also am trying new things, like I'm making this synthy sound with my chain, I use my Digitech Drop for playing different tunings on the go but it has the option of dry and low oct. So I run through the rest of my pedals (Drop->OD->Wah->Fuzz->Chorus) and I can do some cool things with it. I'll see if I can post an example.

Here's the song, perhaps this helps...

Last edited: Oct 12, 2022
  15. Robodabie

Robodabie

Oct 29, 2022
    That's like asking "how do I use my creativity?"

16. superheavyfunk

superheavyfunk

Mar 11, 2013
    Toronto
    Ridiculous statement. I asked for practical examples of how folks use this effect in their original music.

This is your third post on TB? Try again bud. You can do better

17. Robodabie

Robodabie

Oct 29, 2022
    You're totally right. I misread your comment. My apologies. I didn't mean to offend. Seems like you do, though. Hope you have a nice day, seriously

deepestend and Xavier Isaac like this.
  18. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Welcome to TB buddy

19. deepestend

Feb 21, 2003
    Just got a mini bass wah and really like it so far. I'm not sure I'm coordinated enough to take full advantage, but also, I have the control that I've missed from having an auto wah.

I maxxed out the Q and the internal delay. Vol is about 80%. How do other people have it set?

Xavier Isaac likes this.
  20. Xavier Isaac

Xavier Isaac

Mar 16, 2022
    Chicago
    Nice man!! But you get used to the feeling of the wah pretty quickly!!! I also have the about the same settings, but I usually try to have the volume at unity with the rest of my chain, or slightly louder, but it changes depending on my mood that day. Im glad you're enjoying it!!

deepestend likes this.