1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Crybaby or Morley Dual?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by darkside 88, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Dunlop Crybaby 105Q

31 vote(s)
    77.5%
  2. Morley Dual Bass Wah

9 vote(s)
    22.5%
  1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I cannot decide.

2. Rob Trujillo or Cliff Burton :eek:
    :bag::p

3. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    :( Well that doesn't help.

4. loendmaestro

loendmaestro Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Vienna VA
    I vote Morley because thats what I have. I prefer the fiber optic "no pot" mechanism, but I will say that when running through the Morley your tone is slightly affected. It almost gives you slight compression in bypass mode.

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Have you played either? They're polar opposites of each other in every imaginable way, but end up with similar results. Go to a Guitar Center or any shop and try a Crybaby. If you like it, get it. If you don't, get the Morley.

6. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    My local GC has niether.

So I was wondering which is more suited towards melodic fingerstyle.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    It's not a matter of which is more suited... the physical approach to each pedal is different. Do they have any guitar Crybabies?

This being said, I started with a Morley, had a quick stint with a Dunlop, and came right back to the Morley. It just feels like home.

8. ive owned both. i currently own the Dunlop and will stick with it. The Morley was less wah and funky IMO. I prefer the Dunlop.

9. Morley (but not Dual Bass) is my weapon of choice. Apart from the sound I especially like the extended foot play - it made my wahs more accurate.

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    If you want a really strong wah sound, check out the Weeping Demon. I have both the WD7 and a 105Q, I'd say the WD7 has a far more pronounced wah sound both with and without distortion. Though a 105Q would give you a nastier sounding wah+distortion sound. I never tried a Morley so I can't really say.

11. crapusername

crapusername

Sep 26, 2005
    North Kent.UK
    endorsing artist: Dean guitars, Marshall , Rotosound strings
    i also have both the 105Q and WD7.
    i found the WD7 gives me a wah+distortion sound that is HUUUUGE! whereas i wasn't as pleased with the response with the dunlop.
    (BTW i use an old Boss HM2 and mxr blowtorch for my distortion / fuzz sounds)

as always, try before you buy!

12. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    I've got a Dunlop 105q, wouldn't have it any other way. Very funcky, yet still sounds great in rock music (see Timmy C. for more on that!), while none of the clips I've heard of the Morley I really liked too much.

To each their own though, try and find soundclips of each pedal and decide from there.

-Dash

13. HELLonWHEELS

HELLonWHEELS Supporting Member

Jun 13, 2005
    Houston
    I had the 105Q and i didn't really like it. It sounded very good if you played with a pick, but i found to drop out when played fingerstyle and since i really only play fingerstyle it didn't suit me. I haven't played the Morley so i cannot really vote.

14. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    Honestly, this is a tough question because we don't know what you're looking for in a wah pedal.

I was looking for a less funky, more intense tone similar to Cliff Burton, so I opted for a reissue Morley Power Wah; the Morley Dual Bass Wah is not the same (although it sounds great to me regardless).

I had a 105Q, and it's definitely a funky wah that's still good for rock... just not up my alley.

Both the Morley wahs and Dunlop Crybaby wahs have drastically different control techniques - this may be more critical to your decision than any other factor, as tplyons pointed out.

15. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I honestly didn't care for either. The Morley sucked tone and the Dunlop just didn't have enough wah for me.

I'm trying to keep myself from buying a Teese or the EBS.

16. Anyone wanna see/hear some clips of the new Foxx fuzz/wah? It is very expensive ($325!!) but it is a ****ing monster. It has four different wah settings from deep/bassy to trebly. It has killer fuzz and when you click the fuzz on with the wah...RUN FOR THE HILLS!!! :hyper: :bassist: :D

BTW, Mystic I got my GK NEO412 and paired with the 2001RB...MY GOD is all I can say.....

17. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'm looking for something to enhance funk drizzled rock bass. You know, Timmy C. kind of...but also Geezer Butlerish, with a hint of Jaco.

I also have a distortion pedal I hope to pair it with.

18. JanusZarate

JanusZarate Low End Avenger Gold Supporting Member

Feb 21, 2006
    Petaluma, CA, USA
    ....SWEET :D

19. Yeah I wouldn't mind hearing a couple.

20. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    ...bump.