1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Dunlop Crybaby original

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Precision345, Mar 1, 2013.

1. good

19 vote(s)
    39.6%
  2. bad

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  3. ****

6 vote(s)
    12.5%
  4. mega ****

17 vote(s)
    35.4%
  1. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    I recently picked up one of these for $20 from a garage sale. Pretty reasonable. It's the guitar version so it doesn't sound great with bass. I was wondering if anyone knows if there is a significant difference in quality with the original and the newer dunlop crybabys?:)

2. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Ummm, try plugging it in and see if you like it.

3. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    That wasn't the question but thanks genius

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
    Welcome to TB!

5. Systolic

Systolic Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Madison,Wisconsin
    carrots

6. Are you asking about sound quality? Or construction quality?

7. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    There are definitely differences in the circuit... one of the parts (can't remember which one right now without looking it up, but it's the 'heart' of it) in the modern versions sounds more brittle and less funky to me.
    I have one of the originals and modded it by put making it true bypass, bypassing the toe switch and installing another under the heel so it turns on whenever the pedal is rocked forward. A spring in place of the original toeswitch keeps it turned off all other times. Fun stuff.

8. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    yissssssssssssss

9. GreaserMatt

GreaserMatt

Sep 4, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    As a rule, older is better; most stuff these days is made in China (i. e. poopiee)....

10. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    I don't have any experience between new vs. old, my Crybaby is from the 90's if it helps.

I like them just fine on guitar but it's not too great on bass as you mention.

11. I have a Crybaby Classic (with the fasel inductor) and I like the way it sounds with my Fender Strat, but I haven't tried it with bass. I'm not sure it would handle the bass too well.

Dunlop makes a bass wah pedal. You might want to take a look at that one if you're looking for a wah to use specifically on bass.

12. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    Ah yes, FASEL INDUCTOR is the part I couldn't remember! Thanks.
    Dunlop's 105Q pedal seems to be the way to go for bass...it:s not a wah pedal in the traditional sense, but instead a digital (?) pedal-controlled envelope filter.

13. AdamR

AdamR

Sep 24, 2007
    Bethel CT
    I prefer the regular crybaby over the bass version. I didnt like the sweep range on the bass version no matter how I dialed it it. Im now using a Vox. I dont really use it in a band setting though.

14. Crater

Crater

Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    The main difference between earlier versions of the Crybaby and more recent ones: the newer ones have a buffer that helps negate some of the "tone suck" these pedals are known for. The buffered version has 3 transistors instead of 2 like the vintage ones.

15. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok so the one I have is the Dunlop crybaby gcb 90 which is apparently the lowest model of the crybaby series. It's an okay wah pedal I guess but it does suck a lot of tone out of my bass. I'm sure it would be much better being used on guitar. Apparently you can mod some of the older ones so that they are true bypass and don't suck your tone so bad.

Another question I have (I know this thread has been played to death as well as this question has) ..... Does the wah hurt my speakers because the frequency response is meant for guitar? My drummer was saying I should be careful with it because it could damage the cones on my speakers. I think it would be fine but?????

16. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I don't think so. the REVERSE would screw them up: playing bass through guitar speakers.

17. Precision345

Precision345

Feb 19, 2013
    Ok, that's what I thought because a lot of dudes play guitar thru bass amplifiers

Thanks!

18. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks

Dec 7, 2010
    22 ft below sea level
    Bass speakers won't even notice that tiny screams from guitars. :D

I tried a Behringer Hell Babe, which we normally use for guitar. I wasn't impressed at all.

19. The Fender Bassman, originally introduced around 1952, was intended as a bass amplifier. It has been used as a guitar amplifier for decades. :bassist:

20. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    I've never been impressed with any Dunlop Crybaby Wah, quality-wise. The toe switches always crap out, tone pot gets super noisy.. I also find them lacking tone-wise, except for the 105Q. The only wah I've kept around is the Boss PW-10, sold my first one, regretted it, and bought a second one nearly a year ago.