Dunlop Flush Mount Strap Lock

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Mr M, Jan 23, 2002.

1. Do you know any webpage selling Dunlop Flush Mount Strap Lock? (you can check it at )

Your feedback about this strap lock is also highly welcome(if there is anyone using it) ...

2. Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    They are THE one to have (imho) and I don't leave home without them.

However, if you go the recessed route and forget your strap or it "disapears" are hosed.

Get the duals.
    frostyman1962 likes this.
  3. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Make sure you keep the "male" end of the strap locked lubed up with some WD-40 (as posted on the Dunlop web site). If the little spring loaded ball bearings get stuck (as mine did) , it is like having no strap at all. Luckily I caught my Fodera as it was freefalling to the ground, unfortunately the headstock whacked be right inside the ear, and proceeded to bleed for the better part of an hour (funniest home bass videos time). Most embarrising it happened at the beginning of an entire night of students.

4. I would pay close attention to the weight of the bass and the position of the straplocks. The recessed Dunlops on my old Warwick Corvette Standard 6 were terrible! Granted, that was a pretty heavy bass and the way the bass balanced placed a lot of stress on the horn straplock. However, having a bass fall 4-5 times during a gig is pretty damn irritating. To be fair, the Dunlops on my Lakland (much lighter and better-balanced) have served me very well.

I agree with bikertrash82 - with the recessed straplocks, you're hosed if the strap lock fails or disappears. The standard strap buttons also make very good regular strap buttons.
  5. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    I had the same problem with the recessed dunlops on my warwick. If you do a search you will find a couple of threads on this subject. I emailed Warwick, Dunlop, Dana B. goods about the problem and they each sent me a set. but the problem remained the same. I eventually pu schaller straplocks (not recessed) on the bass about a year ago and have not had a problem since.

Oh yeah, I still have one unopened box of recessed dunlops if anybody is interested I would trade for a set of schallers.
  6. Thanks all for the feedback!

Now I doubt if I should go with it (if I'll be able to find one :) ) or should I go with an usual strap lock..
  7. I've never used the flush mount dunlop strap locks, but i've used schaller, and Dual design. Both have never faild me, but i've had the "nut" on the schaller pop off, but luckly i noticed before the guitar fell.

question: when you put in the flush mount ones, is it true that you have to drill out the hole wider than just the width of the screw? just curious.
  8. lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    I prefer Schallers to Dunlops just because Im a Schaller kind of guy :D

But seriously, if you get the Dunlops, get the dual design ones because you can use them as straploks or just regular strap buttons. They have the wide flange thing that a regular strap button has so you can just stick on a strap without a lock. The only problem is they look ugly :D

I have owned the Original Design Dunlops, Dual Design Dunlops, and now I am using some black Schallers. I think Schallers are the best looking and most reliable ones because they way they hold the strap on. Even if the mechanism fails, you still have the little U clip holding the bass up. And as long as you have the nut screwed down nice and tight, that U clip won't move at all. Dunlops don't have these U clips, but they have this mushroom-shaped male part that goes into the little recepticle part on the bass and locks with 4 ball bearings. If these get stuck open, your bass WILL fall down.

If you think about it, there is really no possible way that Schallers could fail, unless the nut got unscrewed somehow and the whole thing disassembled while you were playing (highly unlikely) or the mechanism failed and you flipped your bass upside down while playing and the bass fell out of the U clip (even more unlikely.)

MIA Fender basses come with chrome Schallers standard. Schaller must be doing something right!