1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

DUNLOP FUZZ FACE

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by big_bertha, May 5, 2010.

1. big_bertha

big_bertha

Dec 18, 2006
    Hey I'm considering getting a fuzz face for bass. Want to hear some opinions of users or owners or whatever. Do these pedals retain a good amount of the low end and what would be the better option: the red germanium model or blue Hendrix model? Cheers guys

2. Kromwarp

Kromwarp

Sep 16, 2008
    Greater Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Master Luthier: Ironclad Bass Guitars
    I haven't personally used either one, but have heard the original red Fuzz Face was the Holy Grail of fuzz back in the 60's, so I'd go with the Germanium reissue

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Fuzz Faces are cool, we talk about their "clones" here all the time. Generally speaking the stock ones do not pass enough low end, and they need modding. But if you're just foolin' around with effects for the first time, then a stock one is probably fine. You'd get an idea of how a FF sounds, without shelling out for a boutique bass-specific version.

4. big_bertha

big_bertha

Dec 18, 2006
    Sweet, cheers I guess I'll have to try and I find one at a local store. Interesting to hear these were popular on basses in the sixties (kinda tone Im after ie Power Trio band) any notable recordings? I knew McCartney used a tone bender with the beatles - pretty cool vibe.

5. Would it give better results if used with a blend pedal?

6. dune2k

dune2k

Sep 26, 2009
    Germany
    Probably not.
    It depends on the actual build versions of both the Fuzz Face and the blend pedal. Fuzz Face type circuits don't like buffers before them, they basically crap out & you only hear some weird full on fuzz w/o any mids or lowend (short description).
    You can try a pickup simulator of some sort before the Fuzz Face though to prevent that from happening and I think there are "special" buffer circuits around that help as well.

7. I guess it would just be easier to mod it then :)